20 June 2022

Despising the Shame

"I gave My back to those who struck Me, and My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting."
Isaiah 50:6

Everyone has experienced feelings of shame when we felt exposed or humiliated for our failure or due to the mockery of others.  It is natural when feeling shame to try to hide from it and work to cover our faults.  Some feel ashamed of what they have said or done; others are ashamed of aspects of their appearance.  A person can feel shame about what they are personally responsible for or shame on behalf of seeing others mistreated.

For reasons known by the LORD during the past day or two I have been reminded of past events of my life when I said and did things I look upon with great shame.  There are things embarrassing to speak about, and there are things shameful to think about even though the events occurred years ago.  Most of the things I find deeply regrettable I seemed to be carefree about and justified easily at the time, but later my heart smote me as David after cutting Saul's garment.  For a long time we can shrug off shame, yet it proves more persistent than the most steely resolve.  Like Hannah's adversary, shame provokes us sore until we are made to despair in our wretched past we are powerless to change.

How grateful we should be that Jesus did not hide His face from shame and spitting.  He endured the most shameful humiliation for the sins of mankind which are shameful beyond description.  The scriptures teach us Jesus took our sins upon Him on Calvary, and He did not hide from the shame associated with them.  Praise be to God!  Though it may seem justifiable to our flesh to live in shame because of our sins, what Jesus accomplished on the cross gives us eternal hope no power of sin or Satan can frustrate.  Jesus took our sin and shame so we could rejoice in His forgiveness, redemption and salvation.  The shameful things I have done and said will forever be etched in history, yet by His grace through the Gospel I am not doomed to repeat them but can learn from them.

My friend, do you allow shame for your past or present failures dictate your feelings rather than knowing what Jesus has done for you on the cross?  Even now He stands ready to save, forgive and intercede on our behalf as it is written in Hebrews 4:16:  "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."  The blood of our LORD Jesus covers our sin and shame in the past and for the future according to the riches of His grace.  Jesus did not hide from shame and humiliation for our sake, and thus we should not justify living in shame.  For the joy before Him Jesus endured the cross and despised (or thought little of) the shame and is seated at the right hand of the Father, His work accomplished.  Let us glory in Jesus Christ rather than hiding in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)