16 August 2022

The Gracious Accident

As I tried to manoeuvre all the tools I was carrying into my car, I groaned inwardly as I watched my stud finder clatter to the ground.  Almost in slow motion the plastic cover for the batteries popped off and the batteries released from the housing and rolled away.  I wondered if the device would be broken and hated the thought of needing to purchase another one due to my clumsiness.  It was the most expensive stud finder I ever bought, and the quality of the instrument justified the price.

When I reached down to retrieve the batteries and the finder, I noticed one of the batteries had been heavily corroded.  A stud finder is something I don't use all the time, and leaving batteries inside devices can lead to leakage.  Because the finder worked fine I never thought to open up the case an examine the batteries.  There I was, concerned I had potentially damaged the finder because I dropped it, while all the time it was insidiously being destroyed from within as it sat there in my garage in a safe place.  I am glad to report after removing the corrosion with a wire brush all is working as it should with new batteries.

It is interesting how positive end results can change our perspective of accidents or unexpected problems that trouble us.  A fall and superficial scratch on a stud finder led to the discovery of leaking batteries that ultimately saved the device from being ruined permanently.  In the end I was glad it happened because it provided insight into damage caused by unseen neglect.  Had I discovered the corrosion when it was too late because the stud-finder no longer worked, I would never have thought:  "I wish I had only dropped this stud-finder accidentally at some point so I would have seen the corrosion before it was too late!"  The stud-finder incident is at its core a lesson that reveals the grace of God to redeem something that was troubling at first for good in the end.

God is faithful to be gracious and merciful to all whether we recognise it or not.  His ways and thoughts are higher than ours, and we can be confident in His redemptive power is at work in all situations--whether we recognise it or not.  Instead of beating ourselves up over our failures, accidents we were involved with, or mistakes that have been made, let us believe we will see the goodness of God in the land of the living.  Looking to God and walking in His grace also applies when we see others as responsible for the problem, like if the stud-finder was dropped by someone else and broken on impact beyond repair.  Isn't God able to redeem that too for His good purposes?  This is confirmed beyond doubt (though we often doubt) in Jeremiah 32:27:  "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?"  Since it is not hard for God to redeem, we ought to always trust in our Redeemer of our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)