20 August 2022

God Hears and Answers

Those who pray can attest to God's answers.  Just today I prayed God would help me deliver a message at church and He strengthened me to do so, and even directed the worship team to play songs that perfectly complemented the message.  It is wonderful to know God has even these small details in hand that magnify His generosity and greatness to those who believe.

This week I was reminded of a prayer God answered a long time ago in year 8 when I attended Emerald Junior High.  For the previous three years I had been homeschooled, and I felt a bit out of place joining people who had already experienced a year of junior high.  I was the only one I saw wearing pants and a shirt with buttons and collar, quite the contrast of other who wore shorts with much cooler t-shirts emblazoned with popular surf brands.

My prayer was a simple one:  that God would give me a friend.  I had not sat down in my home room seat long before God answered my prayer.  The fellow in front of me turned around with a smile and introduced himself, and extended his hand in a friendly greeting.  It turned out Derek was also new at school, having recently moved from Minnesota.  He was quite the sports enthusiast (as was I) and we hit it off immediately.  While I did make other friends over the course of the year in my various classes, Derek was undoubtedly my best friend at school that year--an answer to my prayer I doubt he was aware of.  I am most thankful to God for His provision and help, and I'm thankful to Derek for his kindness to me.

Derek and I parted the following year because we lived in different school districts, but God has continued with me to this day by His grace.  It is wonderful Jesus, the God who created all things, called His disciples friends.  This is a personal connection alluded to in Deuteronomy 32:8-9:  "When the Most High divided their inheritance to the nations, when He separated the sons of Adam, He set the boundaries of the peoples according to the number of the children of Israel. 9 For the LORD'S portion is His people; Jacob is the place of His inheritance."  The LORD's portion is His people, and those who have received the Gospel by believing in Jesus Christ are adopted into the kingdom of God, not merely as friends but as sons.  John 1:11-12 reads, "He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name..."  This is more than we could have ever thought or asked for, all made possible by our Saviour Jesus who loves us.

Of all the things God chose to make His inheritance, He chose sinners who are born again by the power of the Gospel.  How great is the love of God for His children!  He hears our prayers and answers, graciously meeting our needs for salvation, providing a great friend for a year, or a beautiful song after a sermon.  Isn't the LORD good to us, beyond what we could have ever asked or thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)