27 October 2022

An Error Code and Divine Intervention

God who created all things is able to do everything, and this includes using a common household appliance to reveal unbelief in a heart and mind.  Allow me to explain. :)

A couple weeks back our condensing dryer stopped working.  I have a systematic approach to such events:  I dig up the manual, look up the error code and see if there is anything I can do about it.  In this case our Electrolux dryer flashed the letters "EHO" which meant there was an electrical fault in the circuit board.  Since the machine is under warranty for another 6 months it was not a repair I was willing to tackle.  And besides, I have never bothered to invest in a soldering gun.  The manual was hardly informative, and from what I gleaned online the only way to reset the machine was to turn it off for a few minutes and turn it on again.  It was the same problem over and over.

When my wife handed me the extended warranty paperwork for the machine, it was evident to me she wanted nothing to do with it.  I also voiced my feelings that I didn't want to handle it either.  But in our household the dryer has plenty of use and it was still under warranty.  The loving thing to do was to make the call.  Since the fault occurred on a weekend I needed to wait until Monday to contact the company.  On several occasions I tried to start the machine again, only to see the same error code.  "LORD," I prayed, "fix this machine so I don't need to organise this repair."  Well, Monday came and the machine was still broken.  I called the company and there was more I needed to do to prove my identity online.  I ended up scanning documents and applying for the repair online, no need to torture you with the details.

Days later I received a call by the service technician who said the soonest they could inspect the machine was 2 weeks later.  Without a choice I agreed to the service and then went back to the machine...which worked perfectly.  I was gobsmacked.  I know machines don't fix themselves!  Again and again the machine turned on, spun and turned off without any trouble.  After all the hassle the machine worked!  I didn't know how to feel about this sudden changed condition.  I didn't want to immediately cancel the service call because what if the persistent fault started again?  But since the machine worked fine having a technician test it was an unnecessary waste of time.  Then I remembered I had prayed for God to fix the machine.  Given the circumstances and how many times I checked the machine, the most rational option was to credit God for fixing the dryer.  It occurred to me my motive for praying was more about my convenience and comfort than it actually be operational, I mean, we have insurance for that.

The fact it was hard for me to accept God had fixed the dryer exposed unbelief secretly nestled in a heart that believes God can do everything.  My reluctance to call and cancel the service call immediately betrayed a mind that did not trust God to enable the machine to keep running, a person who selfishly hoped to receive the benefit of an extended warranty, and disdain to pay to repair or for a new machine if it died 7 months from now.  My troubled feelings were symptomatic of selfish flesh and unbelief.  As I am writing I can hear the machine whirring in the other room like a trooper, all by the grace of God who is faithful to teach us even when I doubted He did anything.  How important it is for us followers of Jesus to credit God for all He does and how much we desperately need Him.

Unlike machines, we don't have the benefit of a touch-screen or user manual that shows our errors plainly for us to see.  But God has given us the light of His word and the Holy Spirit who convicts us of sin, righteousness and judgment.  The thoughts and feelings I experienced were a evidence of faults inside me due to selfishness, unbelief in God and lack of love towards others.  Just as God fixed the dryer, He is able to transform us from within when we confess and repent of our sin He brings to light.  If anything goes well in our lives it is by His merciful hand, and when He divinely intervenes to correct and chasten us it is with gentleness.  When things go wrong it would be foolish to assume it is the devil having a go at you when it can be the God-ordained means to draw you to Himself in faith so we might rejoice in Him and proclaim His goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)