18 October 2022

Do You Get It?

In candid videos that catch amusing or amazing moments it is common to hear the one handling the camera say something like, "I got that on video!"  We've all seen some crazy and bizarre things during our lives, and it is a rare thing to have a camera at the ready and capture the footage well.  Perhaps I'm dating myself a bit, for it seems these days everyone has their phones whipped out and already recording and the thought never crossed my mind.  I also have been guilty of going for the camera to memorialise a hilarious event rather than immediately helping a good friend.  As he pushed the boat from the dock he dunked himself into the freezing water of Lake Cuyamaca and it was the funniest thing.  The intense look on his face peering over the stern of the rowboat on that brisk morning I will never forget--even though I didn't get it on film.

The loving thing to do would have been to do unto others as Jesus has done for me:  to not think about myself or "getting" that footage but to help a struggling friend.  Do you know heeding the "Golden Rule" is not natural to us?  I would appreciate someone casually pointing out the greens in my teeth during a meal or that I have a toilet-paper tail upon exiting the bathroom.  I may not pull out a camera to shame the person, but I have not always taken immediate action to help others when a kind word was called for.  I ask myself:  why do I allow feelings of embarrassment to speak up to help others avoid potential embarrassment?  Why do I prefer ignoring or distancing myself from the situation?  There are many reasons and not one is justifiable or righteous.  As a start it is because I am selfish, proud, disobedient and outright refuse to walk in love demonstrated by Jesus.  In the moment when I choose to follow my feelings I tend to cater to innumerable fears, unwarranted though they be.  Living in love puts God and others in our sights rather than thinking of ourselves, knowing He sees and remembers all.

Praise the LORD He desires we would learn to live life skillfully and wisely as Jesus does.  Paul wrote in Philippians 2:1-4, "Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."  Jesus humbled Himself for our salvation, and thus we ought to humble ourselves for the sake of others.  Paul continued in Philippians 2:12-13:  "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure."

God is faithful to discipline and correct us as a father a son in whom he delights.  God reveals our refusal to love, harshness and ungrace.  Having freely received consolation, love, fellowship of the Spirit, affection and mercy, we are called to lowliness of mind that values all others over self.  We tend to connect with people over shared interests, and if their interests are one of our major concerns our perspective will radically change.  This is what God is calling us to do, and let us be obedient to God like Jesus is to His heavenly Father.  It is God's work to change us "both to will and do for His good pleasure."  Instead of seeking to please ourselves, may we yield to God's will to love one another as He loves us.  It is infinitely more important for us to "get this" than saving funny clips on our phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)