12 February 2023

The Bible Verse Bungle

I was reminded recently of the time God used a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses who came to my door to teach me some valuable lessons.  I was running late for a Wednesday evening service when two fellows carrying magazines knocked on my apartment door.  At the time these men were unwanted obstacles who prevented me from going where I wanted to go.  I was in a rush but I thought it impolite to leave without saying something.

I had several personal interactions with Jehovah's Witnesses before and understood some important deviations in their theology from mine as a born-again follower of Jesus Christ.  After sharing my conviction that the Watchtower was a false prophet not to be trusted because of many historical errors, I told them I was convinced by scripture God has revealed Himself as one God in three distinct persons:  God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit.  They seemed interested when I told them the Holy Spirit is referred to as God by Peter in the book of Acts in his confrontation with Ananias and Sapphira.

Then something unexpected happened:  one of the fellows held out his New World translation of the Bible and said, "Show me."  I knew the situation took place early in Acts, but I struggled to find the exact passage.  I don't know if it was because it was an unfamiliar Bible or that I was preoccupied that I was going to be later to church than I wanted, but for the life of me could not find it.  I sheepishly handed him back his book, encouraged them to look into the matter, locked the door and left them standing there.  It is not a fond memory to this day, for I barged past these men to rush to church--when a valuable ministry opportunity came right to my door.  Thinking back, it would have been better to be a godly witness to those men so they could be won for Christ and miss church rather than rushing off because I was embarrassed to be late.

This incident prompted me later to look up the verses I found easily enough in my own Bible in Acts 5:3-4:  "But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."  While I was initially annoyed by my failure to find the verses, that was a small issue compared to my callous indifference to the men who came do my door.  I demonstrated this by my unwillingness to lay aside my plans to patiently follow the LORD's leading in a friendly conversation.  I missed a prime opportunity to lovingly give an answer for the hope that is in me by faith in Jesus Christ and the power of the Gospel.  I am thankful one regrettable mistake by God's grace has the ability to help us avoid others in a far greater scope.

Praise the LORD He is able to open the eyes of the blind and raise the spiritual dead to new life even when I bungled the conversation.  It is Jesus who is a Saviour:  I cannot change a heart or mind but Jesus brings transformation from within.  How blessed believers are to be born again and to be given chances again and again, not to redeem ourselves, but because Jesus is a Redeemer not willing any should perish.  He delivers His people from pride and lack of love through failure because He is faithful.  A bad memory of our failure can work to give us (and others!) a brighter future by God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)