07 March 2023

New Perspective and Power

A sermon which impacted me greatly concerning the scourge of humanism and the believer's joyful duty to live for the glory of God is Ten Shekels and a Shirt by Paris Reidhead.  In the message he related an incident when a preacher came to him seeking the baptism with the Holy Spirit.  It seemed to Mr. Reidhead this man, who had been successful in Christian ministry without the aid of the Holy Spirit, desired God to be a means to his own end.  He identified with this fellow who came to him looking for God to empower his programs.  Paris related in the sermon:
"I looked at the fellow, and you know what he looked like? ME. Just looked like me. I just saw in him everything that was in me. You thought I was going to say me before. No, listen dear heart, if you've ever seen yourself you'll know you're never going to be anything else than you were. "For in me and my flesh there's no good thing" (Rom 7:18)."
Having adopted a humble posture before the LORD after being convicted of sin, Reidhead received insight about himself and others.  Though he had been filled with the Holy Spirit, he did not think of himself higher than he ought to think.  Paris did not look upon his inquirer as how he "used to be" with a sense of pride but who he was in his flesh currently.  The only thing good about the missionary and teacher Paris Reidhead was really a Who:  Jesus Christ who redeemed, cleansed and spiritually regenerated him by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Paul explained that when we stand in judgment of others for sin it provides insight into our own sinfulness.  Romans 2:1 says, "Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things."  Notice how Paul does not put our wrongdoing in the past tense but the present.  For instance, if we are irked by the proud boasting of others, it sends a clear message to us we also are a proud boaster.  When we take umbrage at someone for complaining, know we complain as well.  Being able to point out the faults of others does not exonerate us from God's judgment as Paul continued in Romans 2:2-3:  "But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. 3 And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?"

This principle applies beyond obvious sins.  Should we be offended or annoyed by things others do that are not necessarily sinful but seem insensitive, clueless and rude--like dominating a conversation, avoiding responsibility to deal with conflict, interrupting or finishing the sentences of others--know you too are guilty of the same.  I list these because I have been guilty of all of them.  Often it wasn't until I noticed someone else doing it and it bothered me that I realised I needed to change; it was more my problem than theirs.  I needed to admit I had been wrong in judging others whilst hypocritically doing the same thing myself, repent and show love for one another in my manner of conversing.

The things that trouble us can be the thing God uses to change us for the better by the power of the Holy Spirit Who convicts of sin, guides us into truth and helps us.  Knowing I am doing wrong or what is right does not in itself have the power to change me, but Jesus Christ can.  Attempts to self-help are a snare, but the indwelling Helper sets us free from the shackles of sin and enlightens our path through God's word.  Instead of being conformed to this world, Jesus transforms us as we walk with Him by faith in light of the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)