12 August 2024

Going Through the Motions

Though it seems there is always a chore that needs doing, it is satisfying when it is done.  It is pleasing to see your cleaning, sorting or arranging makes a tangible difference.  While the marks of the wheels of the lawn mower are fresh on the lawn and the brushes of the vacuum are plain in carpet, it is gratifying evidence of progress.  I have noticed myself at times going out of my way to take a moment to look at a completed job, to bask in the glow of a task finished well.

Today I had an interesting moment while doing a bit of vacuuming.  After using a car, appliance or tool for awhile, I become aware when things sound different.  Though my hearing isn't the greatest, it seemed the vacuum had a higher pitched whine than usual.  For awhile I thought little of it as the carpet bowed before the vacuum brushes like subjects paying homage to their king.  When I used the crevice tool, the suction seemed a bit weak so I opened the case.  I was surprised to find the bag full enough to restrict the suction of the machine.  After the new bag was installed, it was a brand new vacuum again.

At that stage, half of the carpet had already been vacuumed.  It occurred to me the brush marks in the carpet made it look like it had been vacuumed thoroughly--but due to the lack of suction, it wasn't done as well as it ought to have been.  It is like smells we associate with "clean," like the scent of pine.  Many times just bringing the mop bucket into the toilet led to comments how it "smells clean in here" when I hadn't done anything.  The distinctive smell of products like Pine-Sol and the look of brush marks in carpet pile can convey cleanliness when it is a mirage.  Cleaner needs to come into direct contact with soiled materials to clean them, and a vacuum needs to have room in the bag to lift hidden dust.

The full vacuum bag today was a good illustration that even as we can go through the motions of cleaning (without optimal cleaning taking place), we can go through the spiritual motions of reading the Bible, praying and serving without much benefit.  We have experienced the sweet fragrance of God's word but stopped short of applying it to our hearts; we can be so full of our own thoughts or have neglected to cast our cares on the LORD we stop short of receiving His goodness and grace.  We have put in the time in seeking the LORD, so to speak, but we have not encountered the LORD's presence because we did not prepare our hearts by humility and repentance of sin.  God forbid the machine of ministry would continue humming along and thus we neglect our need to be filled with and submit to the Holy Spirit.  Unless we are filled with the Holy Spirit and God's love, all our efforts will be largely ineffective and empty.

Let us remember what is written in 1 Corinthians 13:1-7:  "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  Rather than going through the motions, may God's love purify our motives and move us to trust Him as we follow Jesus faithfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)