Losing Sight But Gaining Insight

Recently I noticed my ability to focus clearly in my dominant eye suddenly change, so I made an appointment with an optometrist.  It turned out it was not my imagination, for in the six months since obtaining new glasses one of my eyes had changed significantly.  Though unexpected, this was not a surprise as this change aligns with the diagnosis of a rare condition in the optic nerve I received many years ago.  To be sure there were no new problems, I went through a raft of tests which showed no sign for alarm, praise the LORD.  I am thankful to be able to have my vision corrected to see clearly, and God-willing my eyes will continue to serve me well.

When I was being fitted for new frames, I spoke with an associate briefly concerning my condition which has no treatment or cure.  I expressed thanks to God for the eyes He has given me, and I will be blessed to use them as long as I can.  The associate shared a story she heard about a wealthy politician whose son had an accident that rendered him blind.  She said it was ironic the family had great wealth and access to the best medical care, yet no amount of money could restore his son's sight.  There are things money, political influence and social standing cannot buy, and being able to see clearly is numbered among them.

Our families, lives and ability to see are free gifts from God beyond price.  All the best things we experience in this life are gifts from God, and the assurance of forgiveness and eternal life in heaven cannot be bought:  these also are free gifts received by faith in Jesus.  Matthew 16:24-26 says:  "Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"  A rich young ruler came to Jesus Christ asking what he needed to do to inherit eternal life, yet he was unwilling to do what Jesus said.  He went away sorrowful and lacking eternal life--despite his wealth and possessions--because he refused to lose his life for Christ's sake by trust and obedience to Jesus.

All the money, respect and fame of this world cannot grant eternal life to a soul--even as money spent on medical treatments cannot restore sight to blind eyes.  What does it profit for your eyes to have perfect vision all your days and remain spiritually blind?  What does it benefit to gain the whole world and lose your own soul?  We cannot earn eternal life by our efforts, nor can we inherit it because sinners are cut off from God.  Jesus is the Way to heaven and eternal life in the presence of God forever by the free gift He has provided by the Gospel, so sinners by faith in Jesus can be born again as God's children and accepted forever.  Jesus who opens the eyes of the blind is our eternal inheritance--and the unspeakable glories of heaven are thrown in too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Danced Naked?

From Sluggard to Servant

Insidiousness of Idolatry