Baseball and Character
When it came to baseball, my dad was a fan of "small ball." He didn't coach players to swing for the fences and slug home runs: he taught kids to be disciplined at the plate by laying off balls, to swing at strikes, and hit the ball where it was pitched. Take that outside pitch to the opposite field! Dad enjoyed a sacrifice bunt that resulted in a batter being thrown out because the runner had been moved from second base to third more than a booming double off the fence. In his view, making good contact with the baseball ("Down and hard!" he would shout) and hitting line drives was better than fly balls that could be easily caught. Baseball has changed a lot since I played as a kid, but the principle of learning the fundamentals and doing the small things well is valuable to this day.
As a member of a team, each player has a limited amount of control. The most important thing is to focus on doing your part. This could be throwing the ball to the cut-off man or by obeying the sign given by your coach to take a pitch or drop down a bunt--even if you want to swing. A catcher and pitcher coordinate to decide what the next pitch will be, and the catcher provides a target for the pitcher to throw to. A pitcher has done his job when the right pitch is thrown in the correct location. Even if the batter smashes it for a home run, a pitcher can "tip his cap" to the batter on winning that matchup and console himself on executing that pitch to the best of his ability. Mistakes happen in baseball and in life, and our response to failure and disappointment both reveal character--and can also build it.
Though I do not believe in their existence, at times people will refer to "baseball gods" as a kind of yin and yang, a sort of karma, an impersonal force or fate that evens out unfair calls, rewards hustle and doles out poetic justice. I believe the one true God is active in the lives of people whether it be at work or at play, and He is able to bring good out of disappointment. He is able to correct and convict us of sin when we are proud, and God can also help us to be encouragers and give grace rather than sledging others for their errors. While God could certainly affect the outcome of a game in a multitude of ways, I suspect His primary aim is to work wonders in the lives of His people rather than put points on the scoreboard or pad our stats. Before the game when I tore my ACL rounding first base, I had knelt in prayer on those knees before the game to seek God's favour. Though I lost a knee ligament and our team lost the game that day, God was gracious to answer my prayer. His grace has sustained me through an injury and much more.
Knowing God is in control of all things is a great mercy and blessing, for this wisdom causes us to view disappointments, pain and loss in His marvellous light. Thinking back as I limped along to my car in pain, the knowledge I had prayed and God allowed the injury was a comfort to my soul. Surgery and subsequent healing and strength has made me grateful for a new ligament I always took for granted previously. Though I have retired from playing baseball, it is evident over a long career God used it to reveal flaws in my character, my need to repent of sin, to learn to cheer from the bench when I would rather be playing, to be an encourager rather than justify feeling discouraged, and that walking in love is as important for a Christian playing baseball on the diamond than a pastor who ministers to a grieving person. Faithfulness in small matters of the heart and mind that may go unnoticed by others are known by God. The words of Jesus in Matthew 25:23 come to mind: "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful
servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over
many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'"
Following Jesus may not be flashy, and we may never be "winners" in the eyes of the world. We need not lament a small circle of influence nor feel we are hindered in any way from making an impact for our awesome Saviour by our failures. God is able to turn disappointment into a sanctifying catalyst that glorifies Him by character built by faith in Him. Even when we have done all to the best of our ability, we can gladly admit we have been unprofitable servants--for we have only done our duty--and it was God who helped us do the basics.
Comments
Post a Comment
To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)