More Than Dogma

I followed the advice of a good friend and went to an AA meeting yesterday as an observer.  About 30 of us sat around a table and the moderator asked questions to people known to her, and they shared from their experiences concerning alcoholism and sobriety.  Everyone was very friendly and without judgment as everyone called upon honestly spoke about their own defects of character and how meeting together and having a sponsor made a positive impact on their lives.  All attendees were able to benefit by hearing and identifying with the experiences of others and the wisdom gained at great cost over time through failure and success.  The high level of self-awareness and insight people had into their own patterns of thinking and motives was impressive--as well as their willingness to share freely with other like-minded people who desire sobriety.

After the meeting, I was approached by a kind woman who inquired about what motivated me to come along--seeing I have not struggled with alcoholism.  I explained I am working on the process of hosting a chapter of an international recovery program that is faith-based where Jesus Christ is our "higher power."  She was not enamored with the idea, and I was blessed she shared her thoughts with me.  She shared how an important feature of AA is no one tells anyone else what to do, and everyone needs to make their own decisions to take steps voluntarily.  People are free to have whatever higher power they want, and she was confident the 12 Steps will work for those who are willing to follow them.  "Here people are free from that sort of dogma," she said.  Based on my meagre exposure, I believe the gracious acceptance of others is a quality that has helped AA to endure and remain effective.  

Her perspective was insightful of how many people view "religion," and this may due to how dogmatic, inflexible and prescriptive the approach of religious adherents can be.  Hard lines can be drawn over what is "right" and "wrong" that are not found in Scripture, and carefully observing rules to be accepted can be emphasised in practice over a loving relationship with God.  One thing the AA meeting illustrated beautifully is how healthy, unifying and liberating is an opportunity to be able to freely admit you are flawed without risk of condemnation, censure or being in trouble.  In the meeting I attended, people were free to say what they honestly thought and felt and were encouraged by friends despite differences or shortcomings.  This is something as followers of Jesus we ought to take to heart and implement, for hasn't Jesus been gracious and kind to us despite our countless defects of character?  Pretending we are faultless because "all is well" with our soul is not accurate or consistent with reality.

In the meeting, the common problem with alcohol brought all kinds of people together, and in the church it is Jesus Christ who unites us with the Holy Spirit.  Our Saviour does not force us to do anything, and thus we ought not to impose our will on others.  Several people affirmed anyone willing to implement the 12 Steps into their lives were greatly helped in their journey toward lasting sobriety, and the surrender of our will is needed to follow Jesus faithfully.  Since I have experienced a relationship with the living God by faith in Jesus, to reduce Christianity to "dogma" falls woefully short of the ideal and my experience.  Having been loved, accepted and forgiven by God according to His grace, we ought to freely extend grace to all people like I observed in that meeting.  God has drawn us to Himself with lovingkindness, so may we freely extend His love and acceptance to others who come to church as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Danced Naked?

Insidiousness of Idolatry

From Sluggard to Servant