25 October 2009

Fear is good?

Tonight I had an unplanned adventure.  This evening at dusk, I decided to take a run past the bridge on Illaweena Street.  Once I reached the bridge, I decided to crawl under the fence and run a trail along the motorway that I have been theorizing loops to the top of my street.  Crows croaked to each other overhead, and animals rustled through the dead sticks and leaves on my right.  Early on I decided that I was committed to finishing the loop, dark or not.  Though I was running uphill, my pace quickened.  On my left was a fence separating me from the oncoming cars on the motorway and to my right was a thickly wooded forest as I ran down the rocky path, wide enough to accommodate a full-size truck.

I had not run far before I ran through a single strand of spider web to the face the thickness of dental floss.  Great, I thought to myself, knowing that the path eventually narrowed ahead.  As I ran I quickly took inventory of my shirt, making sure that I had not picked up some fearsome Aussie eight-legged beast.  Now I don't consider myself afraid of spiders, but the thought of running face first into webs of spiders whose fangs are visible to the naked eye in the dark did not sound good.  Jesus, I need you to get me through this, I prayed out loud.  "Do you trust me?"  Yes, LORD.  "Then trust me to lead the way.  Nothing will harm you."  As much as I wanted to turn around, I pressed on through the falling darkness.  By this point I knew where I was and I thought of the thickening woods towards the end of the path.  What was I thinking, running through the woods after dark?

Was I afraid?  I suppose so.  I could feel adrenaline tingling through my legs and arms, bringing goose bumps to the surface.  If there was no such thing as fear, there would be no need for adrenaline!  Then it occurred to me:  if there was no such thing as fear, there would be no impetus for faith.  Why trust God if you are capable in yourself?  It is fear of burning to death which moves a person to jump three stories from a burning building onto the pavement beneath.  That person does not have a death wish:  he wants to live.  He wants to live so badly that he is willing to jump from a height that under normal circumstances he would never consider.  Fear stimulates the need to exercise faith.

Before I preach, I experience a full-range of emotions.  I am excited about what God has called me to deliver, but I tremble at the monstrous responsibility of the task.  Should a messenger tarnish the King's command, his blood will be on his own head.  There is a reverential awe that turns a man toward complete reliance upon the Holy Spirit for utterance, for without anointing it will be wind without effect.  Like Joseph when he was asked to interpret Pharaoh's dream, I can say the ability to preach is not in me.  But I know it is what God has called me to do, and so I will do my part to be faithful to that calling when opportunity presents itself.

I challenge you to answer the question:  what makes you afraid?  God knows.  Allow your fear to direct your heart towards deeper faith in Jesus.  True to His Word, I emerged from the forest in the dark without harm.  Adrenaline is a powerful chemical that enables us to push harder, to "fight or fly" with strength beyond natural capacity.  When fear strikes, faith can be stronger.  Faith in our God allows Him to work supernatural wonders in our lives which bring Him glory and praise.  I believe fear is a good thing because it moves a man to pray.  It coaxes us to jump for salvation found in Jesus Christ alone.  When we reach the end of our ability and we recognize this, we must rely upon the One who will see us through.  We will say like David in Psalm 23:4, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."  Those who fear God need not fear, because fear moves a man to faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)