01 March 2010

A Soft Answer

"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
Proverbs 15:1

Today I saved myself a little pain by obeying this principle.  I was talking with a framing foreman and he inferred my crew had missed insulating two pipes.  The truth is, while the pipes were still under test and had not been released for insulation, the framers covered my access with their track.  The man's just doing his job, I thought, trying to shift the blame to someone else in front of the general contractor.  Another thought sprung to my mind to say:  this man's ignorance is only exceeded by his stupidity.  Whoa!  That's not something I should say, much less think!

Later I thanked God He kept my mouth shut.  Death and life are in the power of the tongue (Prov. 18:21).  Growing up I was often admonished to "think before you speak."  We have the power to diffuse a situation with a gracious, kind answer.  We need not mock or scorn as the fool, brag, or blame.  Proverbs 26:4-5 teaches us, "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you also be like him.  [5] Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes."  Instead of these verses conflicting with one another, they compliment.  There is no need to be drawn into a shouting match with cursing and personal cut-downs.  But there is a time when foolish statements should be corrected with truth so the ignorant will not be smug in his ignorance.  Jesus always contended for truth, and He did so in a way that instructed, edified the hearers, and glorified God.
 
Every day we will use our mouths to communicate with words.  The words you use and how you use them is up to you.  Proverbs 25:11-12:  "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.  [12] Like an earring of gold and an ornament of fine gold is a wise rebuker to an obedient ear."  The art of rebuke and reproof is a rare quality these days.  Opposition of falsehood is good.  There is a way to speak to the heart of a matter which reaches beyond sentence structure and word choice.  It takes the leading, power, and authority of the Holy Spirit.  For Him to have His way in us, we must remain humble.  We rebuke not because we are right and someone else is wrong, but because God is being robbed of glory.  Instead of taking offense at harsh words spoken to us, let us turn away wrath with a soft answer.  After being crucified for our sin Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).  Once our hearts are melted by the grace, mercy, and forgiveness of Jesus, our lips should be seasoned with these virtues.

Pray with me:  "Father, my tongue is a world of iniquity.  Purify my thoughts and mouth that I may worship you in Spirit and truth; enable me to rebuke, encourage, exhort, and bless others; empower me to thank and praise you for who you are and the wondrous things you have done.  Help me to guard my heart, mind, and the fruit of my lips.  May the words I say be yours as Christ lives in me.  Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)