12 March 2010

Learning to Wait

There is nothing as exciting as serving Jesus Christ.  It is the hardest thing I have ever done, but it is by far the best thing.  It is not me who has done anything, but Christ in me.  One of my favorite verses concerning service is found in Luke 17:9-10:  "Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not. [10] So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do."  I can say the first part, but my duties stretch out before me for the unforeseeable future.  There is nothing more untamed and wild than the path of faith.  It makes the biggest roller coasters in the world seem as childish as a carousel.  Crazier than trying to stay on a bull for 8 seconds, following Jesus Christ is a lifetime of voluntary slave labor.  At the same time, there's nothing crazy about trusting in Jesus as Savior.  I could spend an eternity telling you the reasons why being a born-again Christian is totally worth it!

Lately my family and I have been on a wild ride of faith, with the slow ascent and breathtaking drops, experiencing twists and turns, and looking at each other at the end and saying, "Let's do that again!"  I remember when Laura and I took Zed on "California Screaming" at Disneyland a few years back.  Halfway through the ride I looked over my shoulder to see Zed yelling with his eyes closed, "I don't like it!  I don't like it!"  I'm not sure he has quite recovered!  To be honest, there have been parts of this ride I haven't liked.  To be more specific, the walk of faith takes us way beyond our comfort zones.  I like to plan.  I prefer to be prepared.  Just like nothing can prepare you for the realities of marriage or having kids until you have personal experience, our flesh can never be prepared for a walk of faith in Christ.  We must be empowered by the Holy Spirit to bring our bodies, minds, and hearts into submission to God.  One can be mentally prepared to obey, but actual obedience is a new frontier every time.

In the last two weeks, our house has been sold twice.  The first buyers experienced "cold feet" days into escrow and decided they would pass on purchasing the house.  We determined the property could be improved by some minor cosmetic fixes.  Our agent suggested we pull the house off the listing, perform the repairs, then re-list it in a month's time to have a new listing again.  We were resigned to the fact the house might not sell as quick as we hoped.  But while the house was being withdrawn from the market, several buyers expressed interest.  An offer was immediately submitted at a price higher than the range we were asking!  Laura and I signed the agreement yesterday and today we are back in escrow.  Funny how things change.  We are not counting our chickens just yet, seeing as the eggs are newly laid.

A hitter in baseball must always be ready for the "off-speed" pitch.  A hard thing to develop is patience at the plate:  not only must a batter be selective, but wait on that curve or change-up and hit it to the opposite field.  God is teaching us patience right now through our circumstances.  Paul said in Philip. 4:11:  "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content..."  Contentment is not a natural virtue which all possess.  It is learned.  Patience is taught to those who will abide in Christ.  Remember, "Love is patient, love is kind..."  This kind of patience on the path of faith springs only from the natural source:  God.  Whenever God sees us "sitting on a pitch" (for you non-baseball players, this means you are expecting a certain pitch at a certain time in a certain place), I guarantee He'll throw something your way to keep you off-balance.  It is only then we recognize and confess we have been telling God what to do, rather than responding to His Word and leading.

Are you content in your current situation?  This is a loaded question!  We must be content with the things God has given us and with the calling upon our lives.  But we never should be content with our level of maturity, service, faith, or love.  We all have room to grow as we pursue Christ.  Let us wait upon Him as we faithfully glorify Him until our days upon this earth are completed.  Then we can say, "I am an unprofitable servant.  I have only done what was my duty to do."  Praise God He brings profit from debt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)