02 March 2010

When things go wrong...

I've been told that moving house is one of the most stressful things people face, along with planning a wedding and changing careers.  I'm inclined to agree.  It is one thing to have a house in escrow:  it is another thing entirely to finish the process successfully!  Something always has to go wrong:  people change their minds, finances fall through, dealing with misunderstandings between agents and sellers...there seems to be no end to potential snags and hiccups.  Our house is sold, but we still must contend with the escrow gambit.  A week in escrow generates a month's worth of problems.

I was contacted yesterday concerning the inspection report on the house by my realtor.  He played a message from the buyer's agent that did not seem positive.  Does the buyer have cold feet?  Did the inspector exaggerate his findings?  Could my house really be sitting on an aquifer?  I should bottle the stuff and call it East County Perrier!  From the way she was talking it seems potential deal breakers are prevalent as rattlesnakes in Arizona.  As I went to bed I could not escape the weight on my mind.  Worry crowded my thoughts.  Jesus says, "Do not worry."  How many times have I done what ought not be done?  I may know I'm not supposed to worry, but how can quit doing it?

Since I'm a thinker, I thought it over.  What have I to worry about?  It doesn't take a miracle to sell a house.  The God I serve is miraculous.  It requires a miracle to raise the dead,  heal lepers, bring sight to the blind, and spiritually regenerate a sinner.  This morning Psalm 8:1 came to mind in song:  "O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is Your name in all the earth, who have set Your glory above the heavens!"  My God's glory extends beyond the heavens.  Is anything too hard for Him?  Did He not turn the counsel of Ahithophel to foolishness?  As Daniel says, He raises up kings and deposes them.  He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.  When Christ the Almighty King says "Peace be still!" even the wind and the sea obeys Him.  Does escrow render God powerless?  God's power roars forth in Jeremiah 32:27:  "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?"  The Hebrew word for "Lord" means self-existent, eternal.  The word used for "God" here emphasizes His supremacy.   Escrow?  Please.

In the face of afflictions and imprisonment Paul says in Acts 20:24:  "But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."  When we are overwhelmed with troubles and difficulties pound us like uppercuts to a boxer's chin, let us return to our foundation, Jesus Christ.  He is unshakable, immovable.  When we rest in Him no manner of difficulty or potential trouble will move us.  It is because of this fact we are exhorted in 1 Cor. 15:57-58:  "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. [58] Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."

1 comment:

  1. Amen! What a beautiful testimony of God's power and care!

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)