19 January 2012

Snail or Stomper?

Today I mowed the lawn front and back.  As I wheeled the bin over to the middle of the front yard, I noticed a snail in the driveway with a freshly cracked shell.  Feeling bad for the little guy struggling for life, I moved him off to the side.  I must have accidentally damaged the shell as I focused on filling the tank with petrol, priming and starting the mower, and cutting the grass.  After the job was done I walked by the area where I placed the snail.  Some ants found him and were very excited.  I was actually sad.

This kind of thing can happen all the time, and not only with snails.  We can hurt other people without intending to be malicious.  We can be so focused on the job at hand that we don't notice when we trample on feelings with harsh or careless words.  Damage can be done that we never even see.  When feelings are hurt, there are often two parties involved.  Early in my Christian walk, I was more on the stomping end.  Now I do my best to tread softly and slowly.  Despite my best efforts, I'm sure I'll accidentally step on a few more snails and unfortunately on some feelings before my time on earth is done.

People are different than snails, in that they have God-given responsibilities if they are either a snail or a stomper in the case of offense.  Jesus says in Matthew 18:15, "Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother."  Unlike a snail that cannot speak, a person who has been hurt or offended has the responsibility to go to the one who has caused the offense and bring it to his attention.  For clumsy footed people such as myself, this verse is very appreciated.  It brings things to our attention we could not see before and fosters reconciliation, humility, forgiveness, and unity.  It also frees me when I am offended to reveal hurt in which a brother had a role and see Jesus do an amazing restorative work.

Everyone who walks the earth will fulfill both roles of being snail and stomper.  No matter how careful we are, sometimes we take a bad step.  No matter how tough a shell's exterior might be, deep inside people are all very tender and soft.  Jesus is the one who gives us wisdom to approach our interpersonal relationships with humility, love, and grace.  He is the one who makes us to dwell in unity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)