04 January 2012

Work of Flesh or Spirit?

As I rode the train yesterday, I paused as I read the Bible to consider the battle between the Holy Spirit and our flesh.  The most common battle we face is resisting or rejecting the desires of the flesh to sin.  Though our hearts have been regenerated and filled with the Holy Spirit, our flesh still longs to satisfy itself apart from the will of God according to holiness and righteousness.  As difficult as it is to always flee from temptation, there is a battle of a different kind which can be more difficult to recognize.  Sometimes we feel led to do or say something for God and we are not sure if it is a work of the flesh or the Spirit.  We struggle and choose not to act because we would not want our efforts to be a work of the flesh.  Many times, I am realizing, this in itself allows the flesh to claim another victory.

The thought occurred to me as I sat surrounded by silent people on the train.  Everyone was reading the paper, using mobile phones, or music with ear buds in.  Only a couple of people who clearly knew each other were talking in quiet voices.  I thought, perhaps I should stand up on the train and say, "Good morning!  I just wanted to let you know that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  He is the only way to heaven!"  I recall a time in Seattle where a man stood up on a bus and told the people that all people are sinners and heading for hell and that all must repent and trust in Jesus Christ to be saved.  I was a Christian and I felt the uncomfortable tension.  True words were spoken on that bus, but people were clearly irritated by the interruption.  The response, of course, should not sway us from the presentation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  That day many social norms were unapologetically broken and personal airspace had been commandeered by a terse Gospel presentation.  Was that the right thing to do or not?  Was it a work of the flesh or of the Spirit?

I am convinced that if the man on that bus spoke motivated by the love of Jesus for the glory of God, what he did in breaking the unwritten rules of public decorum were the right thing to do.  He spoke not to make a name for himself but to bring attention to Jesus Christ.  He certainly didn't become more popular on the bus with his fellow travelers!  The opposite became true:  people scowled and looked at him with disgust - something the flesh really hates.  The flesh wants to be accepted and to fit in.  Today it seems that in general the church is so conflicted about the flavour of the Gospel presentation that the Gospel is not shared as it ought to be.  That is like withholding good meat from starving people because you are unsure if they would prefer a teriyaki marinade or a dry rub.  Can you imagine hoarding bread from dying children because of the fear they might complain because the bread is wholemeal and not white?  Consequently we choose inaction and justify ourselves with the fact that our motivation to give the bread and Living Water of the Gospel might be of the flesh - which is exactly contrary to the truth.  The Spirit of God always wants to glorify Jesus Christ, while our flesh is much more concerned with social customs and fitting in with others.

I wish I could report to you that I did stand up on the train and boldly proclaim the Gospel - but I didn't.  Thank God that He gives us opportunities all the time to glorify Him and not make the same mistake again, sitting down and remaining silent when God gives words He desires us speak.  It was a great benefit to me to have that discussion with the LORD and once for all clear up that dangerous lie, that the opening of my mouth for the glory of God would be an act of the flesh.  1 Corinthians 12:3 states, "Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit."  If I open up my mouth to glorify Jesus Christ in public, I do so empowered by the Holy Spirit.  Love, mercy, grace, and compassion ought to mark my words and deeds.  It is time to stand up and be numbered among those who are not just open about their faith but boldly proclaim it.  We will prevail and have overcome already, for He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)