29 March 2012

The Wonder of God's Word

I am constantly amazed by the wisdom of God in His Word.  It is deeply profound, yet very simple.  The Bible is not so much something to be explained by men, but to be read, believed, and obeyed as the Holy Spirit teaches us.  How much of Christ's teachings oppose what man naturally thinks!  Take this teaching of Jesus found in Luke 16:10-13, for example:
He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man's, who will give you what is your own?" 13 No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
In our natural state, we are convinced that we can be slack in the small things but faithful when it comes to what is most important.  Jesus says otherwise!  I have heard people say (and at time have even thought myself) something to the point of, "If I was in ministry as a job, I would pray a lot more and spend more time studying the Bible."  It doesn't work like that.  Unless one is praying, reading the Bible, and studying before he enters into ministry, his personal habits of devotion will not magically improve one day.  A pastor recently told me that the first thing he asks people who believe they are called to leadership is about their personal time with God.  A man's quiet time in communion is an indicator of spiritual health.  Plenty of people can prepare sermons and studies, but is the man who bends his knees daily before the Father whom God will use.

Jesus points out that our responsibility with financial resources is a little thing compared to the heavenly wisdom and knowledge He entrusts to man.  If I am not obedient to God in tithing, offerings, and faithfully spending within my means, what makes me think I can handle the riches of God obediently?  Verse 12 is a wonderful challenge.  How many times have I lent books never to receive them again, or when I do they are returned unread?  Borrowing a book and reading it promptly is a little thing.  But if we will not even read a borrowed book and or return it in damaged condition, what makes us think God will give unto us the treasures contained in His Word?  By not being responsible in the little areas, we have proved ourselves unworthy to handle greater things.

Finally, Jesus drops a bomb of heavenly wisdom to shatter our foolish perceptions in verse 13:  we cannot serve two masters.  How much of our lives have we spent trying to do just that?  We run back and forth between serving self and God, between trusting God or money.  Politicians and business executives know it is imperative in the world to serve many masters.  Jesus says otherwise!  He says that no man can serve two masters.  If a man is not actively serving the One True God, then he serves a lesser god - and that god is usually self.  Satan blinds men and takes them captive to do his will.  Many professing Christians think they are able to do what Jesus says no man can do:  a life of trying to serve two masters.  This is certainly not the life God intended man to live, and it leaves us with a bitter taste and gravel in our gums.

So I must examine myself:  am I being faithful in the areas some would say are insignificant?  Am I deceived to think I can serve two masters?  Am I truly surrendered to Jesus Christ in my life or am I living to please myself?  Praise God for His wisdom which He has revealed through Christ and His Word.  God wants to do more than challenge or confront us:  He wants us to be transformed through the renewing of our minds.  God, I invite this change:  transform me into your likeness, so I might live in the way which fully pleases you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)