26 March 2012

Wise Comparisons

In many cases, making comparisons is a path which leads to sin.  Comparing ourselves against others will move us to be self-righteous because we see ourselves as better.  We can also become envious and jealous because we don't measure up.  It is a product of our fallen nature:  humans delight in gossip, lies, back-stabbing, or cutting each other down with words.  When I am compared with another person in a positive light, I instantly feel uncomfortable.  I know it is only a matter of time before the same person compares me with another person negatively.  I find comparing is a hair's breadth from judging, something God tells us not to do.  Matthew 7:1-2 says, "Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."

Paul was clear in his words to the Corinthian church concerning the danger of unwise comparisons.  2 Corinthians 10:12 reads, "For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."  When a man measures himself by himself, he begins and ends with diverse measures and weights.  What he perceives is not always the truth.  I might look back on aspects of my life where God has changed me greatly and I might be tempted to be self-assured.  There are also areas where I have not changed at all for the better, and areas of immaturity I am not even yet aware of.  Because I have seen improvements in some areas, I am not motivated to hold myself to a higher standard than my own - a scriptural standard.  I always ought to compare my life against the Word of God, not according to my perceived maturation.

The same thing is true when I measure myself against others.  My flesh can always find room for self-justification by the wrongs others do:  "At least I have never killed anyone!"  Comparisons lead to dissatisfaction with what God has done or provided, and can also give way to complacency.  On a practical level, what wife would be pleased if her husband was always bringing up how she compares with other women?  She would be continually worried that someone better than her might come along and thus she would become expendable.  If a woman's value is only a comparative value, where is the basis for love in the relationship?  Love keeps no record of wrongs but delights in the truth.  The truth is found in Proverbs 18:22:  "He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the LORD."  If we would look at our relationships through a scriptural lens, comparisons and judgments melt away.

The best and wisest comparisons are those which bring glory to God.  After Jesus healed a man who had been blind from birth, the religious leaders sought to accuse Jesus.  They brought before them the man who could now see to interview him concerning the miraculous change which had taken place.  John 9:24-25 reads, "So they again called the man who was blind, and said to him, "Give God the glory! We know that this Man is a sinner." 25 He answered and said, "Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see."  The religious leaders compared Christ according to the traditions of the elders and deemed Christ a lawbreaker.  They stood in judgment of Him even though Jesus had only done a good deed.  The blind man refused to take sides.  Instead, he simply held forth his condition before and after Christ.  "I don't know if He is a sinner or not.  One thing I know:  I was blind, but now I see."  That was a comparison which gave God the glory.

We have opportunities every day to remember the wonderful things God has done for us.  The children of Israel were once slaves in Egypt, but God delivered them and later brought them into the Promised Land.  I was once a judgmental Pharisee, but God changed my heart through the truth of His Word.  He brought me out of Valley of the Shadow of Death and has brought me safely into green pastures near still waters.  I used to be filled with wrath and vengeance, but God has restored my soul by His grace.  Instead of comparing ourselves with ourselves or against others, may we align our lives according to the truth of scripture.  Let us make wise comparisons which give glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)