10 February 2013

Calvary Chapel Melbourne Trip

Late last night I returned from a trip to Melbourne.  I was invited by pastor Andrew Russell to preach at Calvary Chapel Melbourne and had the opportunity to share at both morning and evening services.  It was a tremendous blessing to meet faithful followers of Jesus Christ and I enjoyed many profitable conversations.  Oh how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!  There is brotherhood through fellowship in Jesus Christ that is sweeter and closer than mere blood relations.  Although we may be separated for seasons, we know we will one day dwell together in the presence of God forever!

As I prepared for the messages, I sensed the leading of the Holy Spirit to include some illustrations I have never used before or even considered.  I am thankful that those particular illustrations were among the most thought-provoking and profitable.  It is encouraging to know that when God leads us to say something it will be used for His purposes, whether we receive positive feedback or not.  Spirit-led preaching requires faith.  There is always the potential for offense.  Many were offended at the words of Christ:  how much more by a flawed man as myself?  Sometimes God leads me to say things which can make me feel uncomfortable.  I find when I must trust God to merely speak those are the portions God uses most mightily.

I suppose it would be wise to ask ourselves:  when is the last time God gave us a message to hold forth which required faith to deliver?  I'm sure we have all been guilty to a degree of ignoring or tweaking parts of a message that seemed distasteful, politically incorrect, or potentially offensive.  As messengers, we have no right or authority to alter the message.  Or perhaps we have delivered the message God has given us but without a heart of love and compassion.  In our preaching and speaking with people it is imperative we hear from God, deliver the message faithfully, and do so with His heart of love and grace.  Truth is critical, but love is the ultimate imperative.  Love is tough and willing to take blows.  A man can be technically "right," but without love a Christian is all wrong.

How grateful I am for the love, grace, and truth of God's Word.  It is awesome to meet people from all over the world who have been transformed by the power of God through the Gospel.  I have returned to Sydney rejoicing in the fellowship and love of brothers and sisters in Melbourne.  A day will come when we will always be in the presence of God together, never again to be apart!  Stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)