25 February 2013

What's Changed?

Here's a question for those who read and study your Bibles, listen to sermons, or even preach on Sundays:   what effect has your recent study had on your life? Instead of asking “What have I learned?” it is a far more profitable question to ask, “How has my life changed?” We have the tendency as we study to think we do so for the primary purpose of gleaning information and facts. While the truth and the facts of scripture are important, trivia mastery is not the primary end for which God has established for His Word. The purpose of revealing Himself through His Word is so our lives – the way we think, what we believe, and how we live – will be transformed according to God’s will. Calling to mind facts might seem useful, but unless your life is governed and dictated by God’s Word the facts are impotent knowledge. God’s Word must be practiced and practical in my life or is practically worthless.

If God's Word isn't changing us, we need to change the way we approach the Bible.  We all need to change.  That is why after we are justified by grace through faith the rest of our lives on earth are used by God for our sanctification.  The Bible rightly divided changes the way we think, believe, and live.  If we cannot testify that God's Word is changing us, then we need to repent and ask God to soften our hearts and receive the truth and apply it our lives.  I thank God for this reminder He gave me today.  I needed it.  Praise God for His grace, that He speaks clearly to us whether we think we need it or not!

1 comment:

  1. I am reading through the Old Testament; I recently read 1 Kings 4:29 "And God gave Solomon wisdom and exceedingly great understanding, and largeness of heart like the sand on the seashore." ...largeness of heart... I have since been praying for God to give me wisdom, understanding, and largeness of heart. He has opened my eyes, ears, and heart to needs of others and given me opportunities to love and bless in His name. :)

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)