01 July 2013

Final Visa Update!

This long awaited day has finally arrived, a day that at times I wondered would ever come:  our family received word from immigration that we have been approved for permanent residency.  The notification reads, "You have been granted a permanent visa which allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely."  It feels unreal even as I read those words now.  The walk of faith in Christ provides unimaginable twists, turns, and surprises.  It is like a roller coaster where one feels the anticipation of the slow ascent, big drops, corkscrews, the sickness in the pit of the stomach, and g-forces all combine to make it a ride that at the conclusion you laugh and say, "Let's do it again!"  Well, almost like that.  I am glad beyond words the forms, documentation, physicals, and expense is concluded with a positive result.  I am blessed that this chapter of our immigration process is complete.  God-willing citizenship is only a year and a half away!

It feels so good to know that I'm not crazy - or at least, crazy in a good sense.  When God placed the east side of Australia on my heart in 2005, I wasn't sure if I was going insane or if God was truly calling me to quit my career, later resign from my ministry position, sell my house, uproot my family and move to OZ.  He confirmed His Word again and again that "I would preach, and I would be sent."  It became clear that the only way that I could immigrate to Australia, much less serve in a church as pastor, would be through His doing.  Over the years there were wilderness experiences, doubters, rejections, questions, and the ever-oppressive uncertainty.  Even during this final stretch of the visa application process there were obstacles to overcome when we had to re-submit our application and payment.  A time came when I was forced to hand over everything to the LORD again:  "God, if you just wanted us here for a short season, your will be done.  If this obstacle is your doing, we embrace it.  If it is the work of the enemy, overcome it!"

With the granting of our permanent visa, it is the stamp of God's gracious approval.  It is His will we are here.  It is God's will that I should serve Him and the flock at Calvary Chapel Sydney.  All those years ago when God gave me a vision to reach the east side of Australia with the gospel, I wasn't insane.  Yet I do not see the granting of the visa primarily as validation of my perception, but a demonstration of the guidance, provision, grace, mercy, and power of my God.  Coming to Australia was never my idea.  It was God who put Australia on my heart because He loves all people and is not willing any should perish but that all should come to repentance.  He has graciously provided a window of my time on earth to labour for His glory in OZ, and I rejoice He has established my family and me here.  My desire is to live out the rest of my days in Australia, moving rocks, sowing seed, and reaping a bountiful harvest of souls for His glory.

Thanks to everyone who has laboured in prayer, helped with finances, submission of the paperwork, and supported our family through this visa process.  We are grateful and humbled with the open door God has placed before us.  By His grace, we are walking through the door.  The end of the visa process brings a new beginning as permanent residents.  As you rejoice with us, please remember to thank God for all He is doing - not only in Australia, but in your life and across the globe for generations.  You never know the plans God has for you or where He will send you.  God will give you the discernment, wisdom, and strength to march forth in step with Him!  The question remains to be answered:  will you go where He leads?

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that happened for you Ben, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James. Good to hear from you! You'll be pleased to know we have since passed the citizenship test and are awaiting our ceremony to finalise the process. We serve a faithful God! :)

      Delete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)