03 July 2013

God's Word Stands

Yesterday I was afforded the very rare privilege to watch a San Diego Padres baseball game.  I set the DVR to record and watched bits and pieces during the day.  It had been years since I actually watched a Padres game.  When I lived in San Diego I would watch a majority of the games (or bits of them) on Channel 4.  Even though the Padres lost to the Red Sox, it was fun and nostalgic to see the many new faces of a team I have followed since 1984.

Now I always smile to myself when people are sympathetic to sports teams who have historically been doomed to defeat.  Not once have I heard commentators mention the San Diego faithful.  Neither the San Diego Padres or Chargers won a world championship on the biggest stage.  The Chargers were smashed in the 1994 Super Bowl, and the Padres were whooped in the MLB World Series in 1984 and 1998.  Man, it's been a long time since we were even that good - or bad, however you want to look at it.  Maybe, just maybe, the Padres or Chargers will win it all.  If recent seasons are any indication, I could be waiting awhile.  But that's OK.  If I have endured this long as a die-hard fan, won't the wait make it that much sweeter?

It's a funny thing how people are deeply affected by their team winning or losing the "big" game.  After all, it is a game.  After I turned off the game yesterday I thought to myself, "How would my life be different if the Padres had beat the Red Sox?"  I might have been happy for a few minutes, but that's about it.  I thought back to San Diego's playoff losses:  "How would my life be different if the Chargers won the Super bowl in 1994 or the Padres won in 1998?"  Absolutely nothing!  I might have some good memories, but that would be it.  As it is, I still have some very fond memories of Dave Jordan's hot wings I ate during the Charger's loss.  In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter?  In time my memories will fade, and when I go the way of the earth they will be lost forever.

There are an innumerable amount of things that seem so important to us that in the light of eternity are trite and passing away.  Take politics, for example.  Some people are as rabid over party policies and legislation as the most faithful cricket or rugby supporter.  When a bill is approved, flags are waving and cheers erupt  to commemorate the victory.  The "losing" side grits their teeth and wonders what the world is coming to.  The fact is, God is the ultimate Judge who only does right.  Man can never legislate righteousness, for God has already ordained and established it.  The straying of men to the right or left cannot alter God's perfect standard.  Let us stand for righteousness; let us stand for what the Bible says is right.  But as this world waxes worse and worse, may it confirm to our hearts we are indeed in the last days.  As legislation is passed around the world that stands in direct opposition to scriptural truth, a Christian still can rejoice that God's truth stands regardless.  God's Word is untouched by the accusations, ravings, or legislation of men.

Paul sums it up well in 2 Timothy 3:1-17:  "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was. 10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra--what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)