01 June 2014

Rejoicing Always in the LORD

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!"
 Philippians 4:4

At Calvary Chapel Sydney, we've been studying through Philippians.  Rejoicing in the LORD is a common theme repeated throughout the book.  It's amazing to consider these words were penned by Paul, a man who had been imprisoned without committing a crime.  In fact, in the book of Acts it states one of the rulers who could have released Paul kept him in chains because he hoped to receive a bribe from him - which Paul did not pay!  Paul had every opportunity to be bitter and angry for "losing his freedom."  Yet Paul had learned the secret of contentment and peace that passed understanding through faith in Christ.  He rejoiced in the LORD always, and exhorted all others to do the same.

God uses the circumstances of life to reveal to us the condition of our hearts.  He allows struggles and difficulties to purify and strengthen our faith and resolve to obey Him.  I experienced one such instance (which remains in the infancy stages!) yesterday.  I play baseball on Saturdays with mates at a club in Rouse Hill.  Before the game I knelt on the field for a quick prayer, committing myself and the game to God.  I started on the mound, and for five innings we battled.  Behind 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth inning with two outs, I hit a ball up the middle and ran.  As my foot came down on first base beating out an infield hit, I saw the ball kick past the first basement.  Without hesitation, instinctively I began to turn to run to second.  Problem was, my right lower-leg didn't get the message as fast as the rest of my body.  I felt my right knee twist out of joint and all my weight pushed down on it - and down I went like a sack of potatoes.

After a couple of minutes I was able to hobble off and ice up.  I could move my leg, but I knew I was done for the day.  We failed in our comeback bid and lost the game.  Personally I had lost a little bit more still:  the ability to easily walk without a pronounced limp or take off socks and shoes!  24 hours later I am not sure if it is a strain, sprain, or a partial tendon rupture (will make an exam appointment tomorrow God-willing).  But having first given the game to the LORD gave me great peace through the knowledge everything is under God's control.  Whether I am back to the diamond in a week or rehab back to health over months, God has me on an adventure of sorts.  He wants me to do some personal pioneering in patience.  He adjusts our limits at times so we might seek to find our satisfaction and comfort not in what we can do but in His presence and what He has done.

I take Paul's exhortation to heart.  In the LORD I can rejoice always, even when my knee is swollen, stiff, and sore.  The peace God gives is independent of my circumstances or how I feel.  Will I choose to experience this rejoicing for the long haul?  Only God knows, but I aim to.  Whether we suffer a strain or complete knee destruction, God remains just as good.  For those who are facing the worst life can offer, Jesus understands because He has gone through it.  He was in all points tempted - He had every opportunity to become bitter at His Father for what He allowed Jesus to face.  Jesus willingly went to the cross for the joy that was set before Him.  You can rejoice in Him, for He is able to deliver and save.  He will never leave or forsake those who put their trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)