04 June 2014

Redeemed Injuries

One thing I find very comforting is the redemptive power of God in every aspect of the life of a believer.  Our flesh may cringe and disagree, but the claim of God's Word and the power of Jesus Christ is undeniable.  Paul wrote with confidence in Romans 8:28-29, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."  All the things we experience are not good, yet God is able to reconcile them for His purposes.  A Christian, therefore, will never suffer pain or difficulty needlessly.  God has glorious, divine purposes in all He allows.

Last night, I started thinking back on the number of permanent injuries I sustained from my time serving with the youth at Calvary Chapel El Cajon.  I held my hands in front of the mirror.  Seeing the unnatural bend in my left thumb, I thought back with a smile to that night at the Centre when Matt broke that thumb during a game of dodge ball.  I pulled on my right thumb to adjust it.  As I did so, I remembered how Jason hyper-extended and cracked it during a game of football.  I thought of my right elbow and how something snapped whilst arm wrestling Kevin on my kitchen table.  That was my final arm wrestling contest!  Then I looked at my front teeth, yep, the chip was still visible.  I remembered how Brian landed a shot on top of my head during a jousting competition the night before Easter at Shadow Mountain.  Though I carry with me tangible reminders of those moments, without a shred of frustration or regret I was led to pray for each of those young men and others besides.

I thought of pains I had endured, and also the wounds I mistakenly inflicted on others.  There were times over the years I failed as a leader.  I made mistakes in dealing with conflicts.  Sometimes I tried to do the work of the Holy Spirit.  I prayed for those God brought to mind, drawing solace from the fact that God would redeem even my mistakes for His glory - even as He used old injuries to remind me to pray for dear people He and I love very much.  Have you pain?  Have you injuries inflicted by friends or enemies?  Every scar tells a story, and God will redeem every one with His love.  Praise the LORD for His redeeming power, and how He takes even our injuries and uses them to accomplish His everlasting purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)