05 October 2014

Affinity in Christ

After a week speaking at a teen camp, I am ready to jump back into the fray of the ever-demanding blog.  I find it is a most useful exercise in better developing thoughts of a spiritual nature I have throughout the day.  The fact others can also benefit from these musings is a wonderful secondary benefit.  I pray that through these musings all who read them may be encouraged, challenged, and seek to apply biblical truth to their personal lives.  Until the LORD directs me to apply my efforts elsewhere for His glory, it is a joy and privilege to continue writing in this format:  free of charge, open and transparent, instructive, and frequent when possible - all to the glory of God!

As I spent time becoming acquainted with the teens at camp, many things became apparent.  Kids today are growing up in an era of great confusion, both in society and within themselves.  They have many questions, but most seem to only accept answers which agree with their prior knowledge.  I encountered Christians who did not have a high regard to the Word of God as being absolutely true and do not necessarily believe the scriptures are the sole basis for knowing God.  In fact, I met with some non-believers not far from the kingdom of God who seemed to believe the truth of the Bible with greater conviction.  Though not limited to youth, I noticed how many sought to discover their own identity through worldly things!  This is not all bad news, for Jesus came to seek and save the lost, set the captives free, give sight to the blind, and raise the dead to life.  The hypocrites who think they see are those whose blindness remains.  I once was one of those hypocrites, and God saved me by His grace.

It is an interesting study to observe the many things people seek to find identity in:  style of dress, preferred music, the shows or movies one enjoys, sexuality, career choice, political views, gender, age group, hobbies, support of sport or teams, diet, living in a particular suburb, hometown, country of origin, attending a school or youth group.  The list could stretch on forever.  How important it is for Christians to realise our identity is found in Christ!  There are many followers of Jesus who identify themselves as "Christians" instead of identifying with Jesus Christ.  There is a difference.  When we derive our identity from a group of people, we look to them to set the pace and parameters for how we fit in and how we ought to live.  The bar is often set far too low.  Affinity with Jesus Christ transcends all else.  After we become new creations through the Gospel, our identity is not found in a denomination, particular church, pastor, or youth group.  These points of reference will someday be dissolved, as will our blood relations.  Finding our identity in Christ goes beyond culture, behaviour, gender, or calling.  Jesus Christ deserves to be our all in all.

Sometimes I am asked a question prefaced with, "As a pastor, what would you...?"  I am careful not to answer this question without clarification, because I do not primarily find my identity in the fact God has called me as a pastor.  My aim is to answer all questions from my identity in Jesus Christ.  We can answer questions as "a pastor," "a man," "a father or mother," "husband or wife," "an American or Australian," but all these limited perspectives are passing away.  I am not saying it is wrong to acknowledge you are a pastor, man, father, or husband.  But we are to seek to discover our identity in Christ through those roles, not in the role itself.  Because I am a child of God, purchased and redeemed with the blood of Jesus by grace, that should directly affect the way I live as a pastor, man, father, and husband.  If my identity is in Christ according to God's Word, I will not be led astray by vain philosophies of the world.  The world is happy to volunteer how a man, father, and husband should act.  But I will never be the man, father, or husband God created me to be until my identity is found in Christ alone through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Having affinity in Christ removes the identity confusion that is rife in the world and even among believers.  The last part of Acts 11:26 tells us, "And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch."  The followers of Jesus had such an affinity and resemblance to Jesus Christ Himself they were called Christians.  Our prime affinity is not to be with other followers of Christ, but with Christ Himself.  This brings us to a place of intimacy and closeness with God where we begin to resemble Christ, not resorting to copying those who might only claim to know Him.  "Telephone" is a interesting and fun party game where a sentence is whispered around the circle and even with a small group inevitably is quite divergent from the original statement.  What a tragedy, to run circles with sheep when we can follow the shepherd.  If we only follow other sheep around, how can we know they are heading in the right direction?  Praise God Jesus is for us the Good Shepherd, and we can follow Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)