07 October 2014

Be Still and Know God

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! 11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah"
Psalm 46:10-11

The world is moving at a frenetic pace.  The advance of technology and transport has changed the way we live, work, and play.  Leisurely trips which at one time took weeks now are finished in hours.  It used to be people could go on a holiday and take a break from the intrusions of the office, but now mobile devices and internet connections carry the office with them.  It profits us nothing to lament the days gone by, wishing we had lived in a simpler, less technologically-savvy day.  What does profit us, however, is to consider the simple command of God today:  "Be still, and know that I am God."

We spend a lot of time pursuing our interests.  For instance, at the moment I am trying to resolve an issue with a local company.  In good faith I paid for a product which was supposed to be shipped to my address.  Weeks have passed and still no delivery.  I have called, emailed, and called again - without response.  I found the issue was not only taking up my time but occupying my mind.  God's Word this morning spoke to my heart wonderfully.  "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!  The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah."  As I was scrambling around trying to control my unfortunate situation, God remained in complete control.  Using the world's way of dealing with problems is our natural tendency.  We can look to our legal rights to give us a sense of security.  We can assure ourselves that we have a right to take the fight to the next level without trusting God at all.

As long as I seek to press my interests, I will never know God's peace, power, and deliverance as I should.  Is God's arm shortened that He cannot save?  Is He ignorant of injustice?  Is He powerless to act righteously in trials we face?  Our part in coordination with God is to be still.  Allow Him to speak.  Grant Him through your stillness the permission to perform miraculously.  Realise the rest we have in Jesus Christ.  Jesus was unjustly crucified and felt intense pain, yet He opened not His mouth to threaten those who did so.  He spoke forth forgiveness.  The refuge offered by the world is temporary and ultimately useless, for this world and the memory of it are passing away.  When you are treated unfairly, how do you respond?  Who is your refuge?

Be still, and know that God is God.  This is not an excuse for apathy or complacency.  Rather than promoting, defending, or seeking our own interests we are to purposefully seek and find rest in God.  The LORD is with us, and He is our refuge.  Instead of seeking to exalt ourselves, may we live to exalt Him according to His will.  He will do it!  May we learn to ever be casting our cares upon the LORD, for He cares for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)