19 November 2015

The Comforts of Clean

This guest post has been contributed by my sister-in-law and sister-in-Christ, Jena Grisez.  The message of our need to be transparent and connected through relationship with fellow Christians resonates in me strongly.  In our western culture deeply steeped in individualism and self-sufficiency, there is a risk Christians can be influenced to worship the idol of privacy instead of exercising faith in God by allowing others to share our private lives.  Enjoy!
I hate cleaning. I guess it would be more appropriate to say, “I hate scrubbing.” I like vacuuming, laundry, dishes, etc., but I can’t stand showers and wood floors. My cycle goes like this:  showers need scrubbing and I begin to notice, then the mold starts growing and I start to consider cleaning them. At some point it’s so disgusting and I’ve put it off for so long, that I begin to fear for our health and I clean them. Because I’ve let it go so long, it’s an hour long deal and I vow to wait as long as possible before I ever do it again. Windows shut me down entirely. Ours have what I call "a natural tint" to them. Others call it dirt. Here’s the thing:  I like picking up and I’m a minimalist, so on a daily basis “stuff” isn’t everywhere. Counters are clear and wiped down, beds are made every morning, and the floors are clear of debris. Generally, I’d say we live in an up-kept house...that is until company comes over.

As soon as someone comes over, all I see is filth. I open the microwave and realize they are looking at the same splattered mess I am. I never noticed that! I guard entry to my master bathroom like it’s storing Ebola. I surreptitiously stand in the way of eye shot when I open the stove. I’ve lived here twelve years and have never once cleaned it! All of a sudden, my safe haven stands in condemnation of me. How do I live so comfortably in such grossness? I’ll tell you how:  I don’t invite guests in.

I think we live our entire lives this way. The obvious is well put together for those around us, but do not pry deeper. We are totally comfortable living in sin as long as no one sees it. I heard a pastor tell a story of a man struggling with sexual sin. He went to the pastor and asked for a counseling session. He expressed how powerless and overwhelmed he felt. The pastor told him to write down every thought he had over the next two weeks pertaining to the subject and the two of them would get together and go over it. Two weeks later the man came to the pastor’s office grinning ear to ear. He sat down and said, “I have nothing to tell you! Not one thought.” “Really?” said the pastor. “What happened?” “Well, I didn’t want to have to tell you anything!”

The point:  we need each other. We need to let a few trustworthy people get right up in our business. If we can't let them see our “dirty bathrooms,” I think we would clean them. Our church family is a powerful tool. Satan knows that, which is why he loves secrets and dark corners. We can do more together than we could ever do alone. Why do you think Jesus so strongly emphasized to love one another and to keep unity? Why do you think Satan works so hard to break us apart? We can be a safe place for one another, bearing one another's burdens in a spirit of love and truth. How beautiful is that? Let’s bring our sin and weakness to the light. We will all be better for it.  (Jena Grisez)

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)