19 November 2015

Freedom to Rejoice

I recently read Power in Praise by Merlin R. Carothers, and the LORD used it to speak to me.  The focus of the book is how in obedience to God's Word we must learn to thank and praise God for everything which happens in our lives, whether we perceive it as good or bad.  It occurred to me I am more apt to thank God when I am able to perceive or imagine some possible good from what God has done.  When I cannot see the good in something God has sovereignly allowed in my life, I can be so focused on trying to figure out what could be redeemed in the circumstance I neglect to praise and thank God.

Romans 8:28 provides rock-solid, objective truth for the life of a Christian:  "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."  IF I truly believe this to be true, then I am free to praise and thank God for everything which happens to me, knowing God will work it together for good.  It may not be a good thing, but I should praise God anyway.  David wrote in Psalm 34:1, "I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth." Praising God is not a legalistic requirement, but a liberty granted us in every situation by the power of the Holy Spirit.  "Where the Spirit of the LORD is there is liberty (2 Cor. 3:17)," and often we view our freedom as from something:  freedom from slavery, sin, condemnation, and guilt.  But the freedom afforded us by God's grace is not just freedom from something, but freedom to do what pleases God:  praising, thanking, serving, and obeying Him.

Philippians 4:4-7 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  It is much easier for us to rejoice in the LORD than to thank God for the troubling circumstances we face.  Paul exhorted believers to rejoice in the LORD and to be thankful for everything God allows, knowing it will work for good in our lives.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 affirms, "Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  We have liberty in Christ to rejoice always, pray without ceasing, and in everything give thanks.  These are your God-ordained rights by His grace, believer, and see that you put them into practice.  If we were half as enthusiastic concerning exercising these rights as some are concerning their "freedom of speech" or "right to bear arms," I daresay Christians would be a more joyous, prayerful, and thankful lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)