04 May 2016

Ask Questions, Give Answers

These thoughts follow on from "The Satisfying Answer," a post written about how God doesn't always answer our questions but supplies Himself as our answer.  Throughout the Gospels, Jesus often did answer genuine questions people had.  There were occasions (fewer than you might think!) when people weren't trying to trick, entrap, or critically judge Jesus according to their bias, but sincerely wanted to know the truth.  Hypothetical questions can only be given hypothetical answers, but Jesus responded with clarity and truth for all legitimate seekers who conveyed honestly, "I don't know the answer but I trust you do."

I had an interesting interaction this past Tuesday during a scripture lesson at a neighbourhood primary school.  Most of the kids were engaged and having fun, but one student in particular couldn't be bothered to join the group.  He wouldn't sit with the other students, refused to do the workbook activity, and in general was uncooperative.  When the students were enjoying word finds, mazes, and filling in code Bible verses, this boy was pretending to throw chairs at people.  So I stated talking with the boy.  I love talking to kids and asking them questions.  It's tons of fun.

"Good to see you today!  So it looks like you don't want to participate with the class?  What's going on?" I asked him with a smile.  "Nah.  I believe in God and everything...but how can we know God is real?  How can we know Jesus is God?"  This boy had been to a few scripture lessons and never participated, but I was amazed to hear sincere questions start pouring from him.  After we discussed his thoughts and I did my best to answer his questions, gone was the surly, frustrated expression on his face.  He genuinely thanked me for answering his questions and I thanked him for asking them.  It was a very encouraging interaction which seemed to come out of nowhere, and I praised God for it.  After class dismissed I saw him in the halls playfully pretending to draw a small cactus arm over the face of a screaming mate.  But I digress.

My conversation with the student showed me the importance of answering genuine questions people actually have when possible.  If we are so locked into what we have to say and don't take the time to inquire of the thoughts of others, our words might be lost on them.  Many people with burning questions will never be satisfied with answers provided from scripture because they are spiritually blind through unbelief.  We would all love to have the one-shot silver-bullet answer of truth that will kill unbelief dead, but quickening a soul to respond in faith and trust is God's territory.  I am called to give an answer for the hope which is in me and share the truth of God's Word in love.  Instead of deciding what people need to know, it is good for us to inquire what questions they might have or what hinders them from trusting God and His Word.  Jesus asked questions to go straight to the matter, and we should do the same.  Telling people what they need to know or do doesn't answer their questions which, once rightly answered, might change everything in their world for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)