02 May 2016

Be Faithful In Little

Driving in Sydney traffic provides ample opportunity to exercise patience.  There seems to be no shortage of large, slow moving trucks on the road.  Many times today during my travels I had the unfortunate position of being directly behind the sluggish vehicle, and everyone behind me who desired to travel the speed limit was able to pass before me.

As I inched forward behind one truck, the thought occurred to me:  I can wait in traffic as unto the LORD.  Enduring trying situations with a heart focused on God and rejoicing in Him is pleasing in God's sight.  The benefits of the fruit of the Spirit are not only useful in relationships or interactions with others, but between me and God alone.  A gracious attitude in trials can be a witness before God that I am seeking to honour and obey Him.  I should do all things for the glory of God, even when I am by myself.  Whenever we make a conscious choice to put off the sinful desires and attitudes of the flesh and align our hearts with His will, this is pleasing in God's sight.

Today I almost justified my impatience and annoyance because I did not see how my change of attitude in a car all by myself brings glory to God.  I am grateful for God's correction and wisdom.  At times when we do not see ourselves as directly impacting others we might think, "Why bother?  Who will notice?  How will me changing bring glory to God when I keep driving exactly the same?"  God sees, God cares, and if we love Him that must be enough.  Who knows how He might redeem our obedience for His glory?  Isn't obedience good and right even if we cannot see how our sacrifice might positively affect others?  If we will not be faithful to repent and choose to rest in the peace of God when we are alone, why should we expect to reflect His character in public?

True are the words of Jesus spoken in Luke 16:10-12, and let all followers of Christ take them to heart: "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man's, who will give you what is your own?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)