22 July 2017

Reading and Heeding

A conversation today reminded me of an eye-opening experience I had as a youth.  In our Jr. High Sunday School class, we were encouraged to read our Bibles every day and bring them to church on Sundays.  Those who did so would be rewarded by a night out to Souplantation - a real treat.  I already aimed to read the Bible every day and so going out for a special meal was a free bonus I wouldn't pass up.  All you can eat for a 13-year-old?  It was a dream come true!

I remember there was one regular student who brought her Bible to class as often as me and (due to the general state of carelessness concerning spiritual things among my peers) I was impressed with this display of faithfulness.  Then one day her parents gave me a ride.  Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw in the back of the car:  there was her Bible lying on the seat, ready and waiting for church on Sunday!  I honestly think my eyes widened and my mouth fell open a little.  Judgmental me felt like the veil had been pulled back to expose a cheat and a fraud, and I was quite shocked and disappointed at the same time.

Now it is possible the other student had two Bibles:  one for the car/church, and the other to read at home.  It is also possible the Bible was left behind only once, though upon inspection that Bible was obvious faded from the sun.  Regardless, it is instructive for personal application:  is your Bible being used for its intended purpose, being read with an aim to hear the word of the LORD?  Would it have more practical use as a paperweight or doorstop than a means of seeking God's wisdom?  And if we are reading the Bible, are we seeking to heed it and put it into practice?  Or is my reading a means of ticking off boxes and gathering up points I hope God redeems when I find myself in strife?

What a treasure we have in the Bible, and God's Word shouldn't gather dust.  No matter how much we think we know, all who know God would readily agree He knows infinitely more than us.  In reading His Word let us seek more than counsel alone but aim to discover God Himself in those divinely-inspired pages.  What truth will God speak to you today?  How about opening the Word and finding out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)