14 November 2017

Narrow Truth and Broader Views

As we follow Jesus Christ and mature in faith and knowledge of His Word, He broadens our understanding.  Studying the scriptures led by the Holy Spirit enables us to connect ideas which provide greater insight into God's truth.  When I was a child after I knew how to count I enjoyed dot-to-dot puzzles.  What began as a mess of dots and numbers became a recognisable object which could be coloured in with crayon.  In a similar way, the more we heed the scriptures the better we comprehend what the Bible says, what it means, and how to rightly apply it in our lives.

Looking back, I believe my views of scripture used to be more rigid than they are now.  My views were rigid because my understanding was limited.  Truth and the Christian walk is narrow, and we cannot deviate from obedience to God and His Word.  We do not need to compromise truth to hold a broader view than we once did.  I have held views in the past which were not wrong in themselves, but I was wrong because I restricted the truth to my current personal view.  We all run the risk of parroting what we have heard from a pastor without critical thought or searching the scriptures ourselves.  We can allow a verse or pet-doctrine to direct us down a familiar track of thought like a dog running a well-worn circuit in the backyard when the gate is open and a world of discovery awaits.

There are people I highly respect, people I am convinced are anointed by the Holy Spirit and called to teach, yet based on my understanding of scripture I am not in full agreement with their Bible interpretation on particular points.  For instance, I recently heard a Bible teacher say leaven always represents sin in the parables of Jesus.  Since the Bible does not explicitly say this, it seems to be a narrow view which disregards the context of each parable.  I agree it is true leaven is commonly used to represent sin, I believe it is a mistake to say it always represents or is a "type" of sin (see Matt. 13:33).  It is commonly taught all birds in the parables represent evil or satanic influence, and whilst this is the given interpretation in one Parable of the Sower it is dangerous to attribute "type" status to birds without considering the context.  These assumptions cause us to read into the text rather than observing the context and interpreting correctly.  Wrong interpretation leads to incorrect application.  Parables are not the only tricky part of scripture to rightly interpret and apply.  Poetry, prophecy, and many hard sayings of the Bible make studying it a most rigorous and challenging exercise.  Without God's help, we could never understand or unravel it.

Praise the LORD for His wisdom and patience with me and all children of God.  My understanding has been expanded from the days of my youth, and undoubtedly there are many areas where I remain in the dark.  We too should be patient with others whose views seem unnecessarily rigid because we too are naturally like them.  A teacher of scripture who will not be taught by God or men is of no value, so let us remain humble and open.  Though there will be differences of opinion on secondary doctrines among genuine believers, let us be gracious - not threatened or suspicious.  Let us respond as Apollo when loving believers pulled him aside and explained the Gospel to Him more perfectly.  He received their correction with joy and boldly spoke the truth in love.  Sometimes we are the ones to come alongside in a spirit of gentleness to instruct and correct.  Love does not compromise truth, but it is willing to speak the truth for the restoration of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)