26 November 2017

Gifts With Your Name On Them

As a young kid I was introduced to hard work.  "Work before play" was a well-known saying for us, and many summer mornings we signed up for chores we were responsible to do that day.  It could be washing the dogs, mowing and raking the lawn, spraying for fleas, cleaning windows and screens, doing the washing (laundry), cleaning bathrooms, washing the van, and the list went on.  I remember being about 10 years old when I proudly put in my first solid eight-hour work day, nailing the floor of our upstairs room addition.  That was a fun kind of work - much better than pulling weeds or gardening.

One thing as a kid that was not work was the tradition of going to my grandparent's home in Ramona on Christmas Eve to enjoy time with family and a wonderful meal.  A stocking with my name on it hung on the mantelpiece, and piled around the Christmas tree were many gifts.  A few of those also had my name on them.  Receiving and opening one of those gifts wasn't hard work, though the waiting was difficult.  We would stay up late, watching cartoons or old movies on the Disney channel with my Grandpa.  But in due time morning came, and after the whole family had gathered and eaten the gifts would be exchanged.  For me growing up, it didn't get much better than that.

You likely agree with me:  receiving a gift is not strenuous work.  For me to receive a gift intended for me at Christmas the two basic requirements are I needed to be present, and I needed to take it in my hands and open it up.  These are both acts of the will.  Sometimes the gift would be something I asked for, but most often it was a complete surprise.  When it comes to receiving spiritual gifts from God, the same is true.  Out of His goodness and grace God has spiritual gifts with our name on them.  We do not need to work to earn them but must humble ourselves to draw near to God in faith and receive gladly whatever He sees fit to give.

I am convinced we over complicate the receiving of spiritual gifts big time.  Wouldn't it be strange for me to ask my smiling grandmother as she holds a gift out to me, "So how do I receive this gift?  Should I open this now or later?  Is it for personal use only?  What will other people think about me if I actually use this gift?  How do I know this gift is really from you?  And will it make me speak in tongues?  If it's tongues I don't want it."  How silly this sounds, but these are the kind of things we can say when it comes to spiritual gifts.  We have no right to demand a gift from God, and there are no returns.  And since God gives gifts according to His perfect will, why would we want to?  James 1:17 says, "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."  God's Word is explicitly clear we ought to desire spiritual gifts, and having received them we ought to use them.

So what are the conditions to receive a spiritual gift?  We receive them by faith even as we received salvation, believing the promises in God's Word.  After being born again by faith in Christ, the first thing to do is to ask Him to fill us with the Holy Spirit.  James writes that we often have not because we ask not.  We receive the fullness of the Spirit through the "hearing of faith" and not by the works of the law (Galatians 3:2).  Obedience to God is also key as Peter said in Acts 5:32, "And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him."  When we are filled with the Holy Spirit, He will equip and gift us according to His will.  Those who have the Holy Spirit living within them and present themselves before God in obedience, God can gift to do whatever He wants.  This should not make us fearful but rejoice that we are indeed children of God.  Spiritual gifts are not like dishes at a buffet where we are free to pick and choose.  Like children who wrinkle their noses in disgust at unfamiliar foods, grown adults can do so concerning spiritual gifts.  We must first surrender our will, come to God with an empty plate so to speak, and happily ask Him to fill us however He wants.

God has spiritual gifts with your name on them:  are you willing to ask and receive them?  Let's not over complicate what God has made simple.  A child before they can speak can receive a gift with shining eyes, and every child of God in faith can do the same.  Won't you surrender your will before God and gladly receive with the intention to use for His glory all the gifts Jesus has prepared for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)