09 April 2019

Beggars and Receivers

"And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, "Look at us." 5 So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them."
Acts 3:4-5

As John and Peter walked by the gate leading to the temple, a man lame from birth asked them for alms or charity.  Instead of walking past the man without a word, Peter bid the man to look at them.  Those who beg often make themselves look as pitiable as possible, wearing pained expressions or are clothed in rags.  Beggars I have seen in Israel near the Temple Mount do not always speak or make eye contact with passers by but shake a cup which contains a few shekels.  I have also seen a savvy beggar retreat away from the crowds to empty his mostly filled cup into a hidden purse to reappear with a couple of jangling coins to attract additional donations - but that is another story.

What I find compelling about these verses is how the man gave John and Peter his full attention.  His motive is plainly stated:  he was "expecting to receive something from them."  He did not know what would be given, but he looked to them expecting to receive.  What is implied is whatever they were going to give him - food, clothing, money, whatever - he was gladly going to receive and utilise it.  I have heard it said "Beggars can't be choosers" but I have seen this turned on its head many times.  I have run into some very choosy and demanding beggars who are intent on getting exactly what they want rather than receiving what is offered.  It seems to me the desperation of those in need impacts whether they are hopefully expectant in receiving or entitled to demand.

This man is a good illustration of the condition of all people before God:  lame outcasts, needy beggars, at the mercy of God, and without strength or power to sustain our lives.  It is good when we are willing to listen to God and those who speak forth His Word and walk in the Holy Spirit.  I have been reading the book of Jeremiah for morning devotions and there were very few who listened to him, though he spoke the truth which was confirmed.  It made me think about the many times I listened to a sermon or study and I did not share the expectancy to receive of this man.  I was already full of knowledge; I had no spiritual hunger or thirst, no apparent need.  I was critical of the way things were explained so I dismissed the truth.  I have given people my attention with no expectation of receiving anything because I was not open.  And yet God many times quickened me despite my dullness to receive and utilise wisdom of great value from unexpected sources.  There are millionaires who drive old cars and wear faded denim, and no one would suspect they own great wealth.  In a similar way I have also observed people who were not learned or polished speakers share the rich truths of the kingdom of God which are beyond price.

The beggar could have paid John and Peter no mind, by trade being fishermen from Galilee.  They were not dressed like the pope or bishops with rich robes or princely headgear but looked like ordinary men with calloused hands, worn clothes, and dirty feet.  Yet the beggar expected to receive something from them because they stopped and personally addressed him, and it was not long before he received physical healing in the name of Jesus Christ with joy and gladness.  The lame man expected to receive something, and what he received was not what he could have expected.  So it is with us before God:  let us humbly come to Him and read His Word, expecting to receive something - not on the lookout to confirm our bias or meet our demands - because we know God knows our needs and will supply all according to the riches of His grace.  Are you willing to receive what God supplies when it isn't what you asked for, even from an unexpected source?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)