25 June 2019

Surrender to God's Will

People struggle with the unknown.  We like to plan, prepare, and strategise.  We all have expectations we hope are met.  Fluid situations, changed conditions, and chaos cause us to feel unsettled and can produce stress.  Fundamentally we prefer to be in control or at least have a sense of control of our lives.  There are aspects of life we do have a degree of control over, but even the most controlling realise there are things beyond us, things which are “out of our hands.”

Knowing God is sovereign and reigns over all is quite comforting when it seems the world has gone mad.  We rest in God’s hands as His beloved people, yet He is not in any way controlled by or dependent on people.  Our prayers might be hindered but His arms are not shortened that He cannot save.  He will accomplish His will regardless of the schemes of Satan or perceived ineptitude of His people.  Knowing God’s will is different than my will helps in trusting Him, for even Jesus said to His Father, “Not My will, but yours be done.”  The Father was intent on saving the lost, and Jesus shared this exact desire.  It was the way the Father determined which caused Jesus to pray fervently and sweat blood in anticipation.

D.L. Moody wrote this concerning the will of God in his book Men of the Bible:  “A great many people are afraid of the will of God, and yet I believe that one of the sweetest lessons that we can learn in the school of Christ is the surrender of our wills to God, letting Him plan for us and rule our lives.  If I know my own mind, if an angel should come from the throne of God and tell me that I could have my will done the rest of my days on earth, and that everything I wished should be carried out, or that I might refer it back to God, and let God’s will be done in me and through me, I think in an instant I would say:  “Let the will of God be done.”  I cannot look into the future.  I do not know what is going to happen tomorrow; in fact, I do not know what may happen before night; so I cannot choose for myself as well as God can choose for me, and it is better to surrender my will to God’s will.”  [Moody, Men of the Bible, The Bible Institute Colportage Association, 1898, pg. 7]

God’s ways are higher than ours and His thoughts are not ours.  It follows that God’s will is far better than ours because He knows all, will accomplish all, and He is faithful.  There is much we know and more we do not know, and our knowledge, experience, and troubling unknowns can move us to make excuses for not surrendering to God today.  God’s will shall be performed according to His Word, not according to our preferences or expectations.  If we kick at the goads worry and bitterness will be our companions; if we attempt to leverage words to goad God to do our will frustration and disillusionment will follow.  Knowing God is good and makes infinitely better choices for us, we can confidently choose His way.

Choosing God is to embrace His will, knowing He does all things well—even when life seems futile and a hopeless disaster. Surrender to God and to His will, for having done the first it only follows.  The One who has saved and redeemed us is also able to guide, protect, and provide for us all by grace.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to the struggle - Praise God for His faithfulness!!

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)