03 May 2020

Told or Taught?

Have you ever been in a situation when you wanted God to tell you what to do?  It recently occurred to me telling is not the same as teaching.  A good teacher does not simply tell their pupil what to do at every moment but leads them to learn the correct way for themselves.  The person who wants to be told what to do may not even be teachable.  To be teachable we must humble ourselves and go beyond following a directive to having our minds and hearts changed to align with the master.

Growing up I found 10-pin bowling fun and enjoyable, but at a point it became frustrating when my efforts did not translate to improved scores.  When I took a 10-pin bowling course in university I decided to throw out everything I thought I knew and learned an entirely new system and approach.  My education did not immediately result in better scores but it was not long before my competency and consistency improved.  One does not need to take a course or have a coach to roll a high score, but for me it made an enormous difference and unlocked potential to do so on a consistent basis.

God is infinitely more for the believer than a "life coach" or a means to achieve our goals:  He is our Life!  His Word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path.  Sometimes we are desperate to know what route we ought to take and beg, "Just tell me the way to go!"  As open as it sounds to a clear directive from God this may come from a proud posture, an unwillingness to humble ourselves to be taught.  We aren't interested in personal change or taking time to learn anything:  we want out of our quandary immediately and are seeking an easy and relatively painless fix.  We think it would be loving for God to show us the way out, but it is because God is loving and patient He may allow the situation to continue for our ultimate benefit.  We imagine like children in primary school if we learn the lesson quickly recess can begin, but God has given us all the time in the world and is in no hurry.

Hear what David prayed in Psalm 27:11:  "Teach me Your way, O LORD, and lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies."  David did not say, "Tell me what to do" but said "Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me..."  There is a huge difference between asking God what you should do and asking Him to teach and lead you in His way.  I am convinced God rejoices when people come to Him, not to escape a trial or speedily solve our dilemma, but because we love Him, want to know Him, and be led in His ways.  God is faithful to hear the cries of the humble and will instruct us in His ways seeing Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Unlike the bowling example where gained proficiency led to less instruction and correction by my coach, the more we learn God's ways the more we learn to seek Him and rely upon Him.  As we follow God's leading, we have the benefit of continually drawing near to Him.  Those who are content to be told what to do miss out on the intimate relationship God desires with all His children.  Those who have been taught God's ways gain knowledge which extends beyond temporary circumstances to develop admiration and awe of our great God and Saviour.  Are you teachable or just wanting to be told?  I am grateful to have such a loving Father in heaven who loves us, is patient to teach us and faithful to lead in His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)