22 September 2020

What Only God Gives

 King Solomon made his share of blunders (as we all have) but he answered wisely when God appeared to him and dream.  God said in 1 Kings 3:5, "Ask!  What shall I give you?"  Instead of imagining he had won the divine lottery to benefit himself, Solomon asked for what only God could provide with a view of God's calling upon his life.  On the basis of the mercy and kindness God had shown David and that Solomon was God's servant he responded in 1 Kings 3:9, "Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"  Solomon demonstrated wisdom in asking God to meet his need by supplying wisdom to rule well.

I wonder:  if God revealed Himself to you in a dream and asked you the same question, how would you answer?  Would you be pleased for God to give you what people in the world possess or something only God can supply?  I recall an occasion years ago I didn't know what to pray.  I felt like I was in a bit of a rut, asking for the same things day after day.  I was surprised almost instantly when I heard the LORD's answer with a thought I hadn't considered:  "Pray for the impossible."  All along I had been praying for things that did not require God at all:  people apply for visas, find employment, and immigrate without seeking the aid of God.  After that clear directive I had a special time of prayer because I was intentional to pray for God to do impossible things only He could do.  Without God's help to pray according to His will it was an empty, fruitless exercise.  How different and profitable was my experience when I sought God to do what only He can do.

God created mankind needy, and He alone is able to supply our every need according to His grace.  1 Corinthians 12:4-7 reads, "There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all..."  God who chose Solomon to be king after David is the God who gives each one of His adopted children by grace through faith at least one spiritual gift for the profit of all.  Do you know what your gift is?  Have you asked God what your gift is and how to minister it to others for their benefit and His glory?  Our God who is wisdom for us and gives spiritual gifts knows the best way to cultivate the use of it.

Believer, take courage to ask God for what only He can give.  Why settle to ask for things of this world like money or careers or stuff or health when He has true riches of the kingdom of God He delights to supply which will endure forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)