16 September 2022

Satisfied in Christ

My experience with painting illustrates well that we can receive exactly what we ask for, but it isn't always what we wanted.  My wife and I have learned by experience that the colour you choose according to a paint card will look different when the whole wall is painted.  It is good to go with a lighter hue than the preferred colour on the cards and even then it may not be what you expected.  The tendency to receive what we asked for and our expectations to be dashed goes way beyond painting.  How many people thought they would be satisfied with the custom design of their house, a role at work, a career, or relationship only to find it wasn't all they imagined or hoped it would be.

As I considered this concept, it occurred to me this may happen more often than not.  It is likely unnoticed because it is exceedingly rare we actually receive exactly what we have asked for in the first place, and thus we can pin the blame for our dashed expectations on the fact we have yet to obtain our desire.  I cannot tell you how often my expectations of myself, an appliance, device or team has been frustrated.  Generally I have an optimistic view of things and thus can generate false hope, and it may be those with a proclivity for a negative perspective are disappointed less often.

But do you know these worldly trends are completely irrelevant when it comes to God?  By faith in Jesus Christ we receive infinitely more than we could have ever imagined or dreamed.  Frustration and disappointment are chronic in our humanity, yet the God-given ability to look to Jesus in all circumstances of life brings joy, peace and rest we could not have thought possible.  God's goodness blows our minds, changes our lives and transforms our perspective.  Our dreams can be ruined and our expectations frustrated, but not one word has failed of God's promises.  By the grace of God we have complete assurance of a glorious future with the LORD that will exceed our wildest expectations, and we can rest in this confidence in our LORD today and always.  This world and everything in it will pass away--painted walls, jobs, appliances and sport--yet the presence, power and hope of Jesus Christ transcends all.

Consider what David wrote in Psalm 17:15:  "As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness."  Isn't this a remarkable thing for someone to say under the covenant of Law?  Only with eyes of faith and revelation of our glorious God could such a thing be suggested.  From the perspective of the new covenant of the Gospel, we have assurance of the righteousness of Christ imputed to us.  We do not need to wait until heaven to be satisfied because Christians are born again by the power of the Holy Spirit who regenerates us.  On top of our present relationship with the everlasting God who daily loads us with benefits we have all eternity to look forward to in His presence free of sin and anything that defiles.  I came to Christ as a child because He loved me and I wanted to avoid hell, and as I have grown older I realise He has exponentially exceeded all my expectations.  What satisfaction God provides for all those who are in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)