14 June 2023

When A Servant Reigns

I was reminded of a situation that occurred when I was running work as a foreman on board the U.S.S. Nimitz.  I gave an experienced apprentice a list of spaces with the required materials needed to finish covering hot copper-nickel pipes.  Several hours later, I was surprised to see them wandering around without tools or material.  It turned out they were going to all the spaces and determining what materials were needed!  They spent hours "formanizing" when they were supposed to be installing insulation.  Needless to say I learned by 10 wasted man-hours one does not give a list on a clipboard to an apprentice because he misinterprets it as a promotion from working on the tools--and nothing of value is accomplished.

There were people in the dockyards who were skilled at making work last, if you understand my meaning, and I would number those fellows among them.  I imagine those two imagined it might take them all day to find 10 spaces and determine what material was needed for the job, work that already had been done in half an hour by myself alone.  It would have been comical to listen in as the senior apprentice pontificated over the hard work and skill required to ascend to such heights that enabled his mastery to shine:  it was fitting his well-worn tool belt and mastic-encrusted tape measure was laid aside for a clipboard and pen, such was his genius.  Upon meeting these wanderers, I quickly took action to dash all facades of apprentice authority by placing them back on task.

Agur wrote in Proverbs 30:21-23:  "For three things the earth is perturbed, yes, for four it cannot bear up: 22 for a servant when he reigns, a fool when he is filled with food, 23 a hateful woman when she is married, and a maidservant who succeeds her mistress."  Harmony within a workplace, society and family is promoted and sustained when people walk wisely in the fear of the LORD.  I can identify with those wayward apprentices, for I have misunderstood God's expectations and the proper execution of my role God has given me as His servant in being an older brother, husband, father and foreman.  There always remains the possibility we can use the scriptures God has given us to condemn others or exonerate ourselves of the same errors.  We know the truth and assume it falls to us to utilise it to save or change others when only God can do that.  Just as the apprentice overstepped the mark to do a job I already finished and was negligent to do his own job, I can make the mistake of trying to do God's work without surrendering to Him and others as His servant.  It is amazing God entrusts His priceless word and wisdom into our hands as guided by the Holy Spirit, willing for us to falter and fail on His watch so we might be humbled and grow through the experience.

How those apprentices would have appreciated grace I did not even think to extend to them!  I had benefited immensely from God's grace extended to me, yet the earth was troubled for the manner in which a servant of God dressed down a couple apprentices on that occasion for their oversight which seemed clear to me.  It is good for us to realise we have played the fool so we would not take up that role again; it is good to recognise our behaviour has been hateful, spiteful and we are incapable in ourselves to wield authority wisely.  We will always meddle, lord it over others, resort to threats, deflect, accuse, withdraw or fight.  Being born again and filled with the Holy Spirit is the first step on a journey to learn to humble ourselves before the LORD and walk in love towards all--even when others do not listen, are careless, indolent or proud.  Let not such behaviour not be named among God's people to whom He has given His word and Spirit, for we have learned this from Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)