06 June 2023

My Times in God's Hand

"But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." 15 My times are in Your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me."
Psalm 31:14-15

With our busy schedules, meetings and deadlines it can feel like we are being governed by time.  The word "inconvenient" can suggest an unwanted obligation to waste effort and time.  It is inconvenient to be in a rush to be on time and then be stuck in traffic or have a flat tyre.  It is disappointing to need to cancel and reschedule an appointment or party because someone is ill--and who knows when people will be able to set aside time to gather in the future.

Today I was lamenting the timing of a unexpected illness in our household that impacted my plans for the day.  But then I remembered this scripture when David said of God, "My times are in Your hand."  Since God is sovereign over all and my times are in His hand, despite the inconvenience of rescheduling a service call or the extra effort required to cancel plans, there remains rest for my soul by faith in God.  When things seem to be perfectly timed to maximise inconvenience, the believer in God can rejoice and be thankful He knows all and will supply all my needs in due time.

When Jesus walked this planet, He often remarked how His hour had not yet come.  God not only marks our times but our hours.  It is fitting this psalm also contains the verse quoted by Jesus as He breathed His last on the cross in Psalm 31:5:  "Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have redeemed me, O LORD God of truth."  Jesus' hour finally did come when He would lay down His life on Calvary to provide atonement for lost sinners so they could be saved.  Jesus committed His life, times and even His hour to the care of His Father in Heaven Who would accept the price paid and redeem sinners from death for eternal life.

In our lives there will be delays, cancellations, disappointments and bad timing that seems so inexplicably precise it is funny, but we have assurance from God's word our times are in His hands.  These situations that test our patience are also opportunities to place our faith in God, His purposes and plans that are higher than ours.  Let's keep trusting in Him when we feel we have waited long and done enough, for God is still working His wonders in situations we would rather avoid if it was all up to us.  We wouldn't have considered crucifixion of one Man as the means to redeeming His adopted children, but praise the LORD He did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)