07 August 2009

Wilderness Experience...

I'm in a mood that is rare for me, waxing philosophical. I'm also fed up with something that I have recently come to realize. In our modern day Christian view, the wilderness experience has been classified as unwise. We are so "production" oriented that many feel that spending a day walking and talking with God is not really "doing" anything. I can hear the conversation: "Honey, what did you do at work today?" "I didn't go to the office this morning." "You didn't go to work?" "Oh, I was working alright...I walked along a trail and talked with God." This poor idiot may lose his good-night kiss over such a stunt (No offense, ladies - these actors are arbitrary).

But seriously, we can perhaps justify a day of talking to God. How about a week strictly dedicated to seeking God? No paycheck, and not on vacation time. How about a whole month? How about 40 days? Or longer? Can you imagine Jesus arguing with the Holy Spirit over the wisdom of being led out to the wilderness - not just to be alone with God, but to be tempted by the devil? "I've got disciples to call into the ministry, I have the message of salvation that will save men from the fire of hell, and you want me to fast and endure temptation for forty days?" Jesus was led by the Spirit and walked in perfect harmony with the will of God. Maybe there were people that questioned what Jesus was thinking, but Jesus didn't question the Holy Spirit. He obeyed. What a display of the wisdom and power of God over temptation from the lips of our Savior, during what some would call a "fool's errand." You can take that up with Jesus.

Elijah was another man who the Bible records as spending 40 days in the wilderness as he traveled to the mountain of God. Moses spent 40 days and nights on two occasions on Mt. Sinai as he met with God. Ah, but that is Moses and Elijah. I have three questions: is the God of Moses and Elijah around today? Yes. And who was with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration? Moses and Elijah, not a coincidence. Final question: do you fear the God of Moses and Elijah? God is looking for men like Moses and Elijah that will obey Him no matter the cost. Do men like them exist today? The Spirit of God who empowered Christ empowers every single believer to serve and glorify Him. He has not lost His potency and power: it is the church who bears the weight of guilt that we have not allowed God to make us the men He can.

Instead of saying, "Where is the God of Elijah?" we should rather ask, "Where are men like Elijah?" I freely confess that I am thoroughly dissatisfied with my level of commitment to God. He is so much more worthy than any of my poor offerings. What do I have that He has not provided? The day that I am satisfied with my performance in obedience, devotion, and piety cannot occur until I am freed from this body of flesh. If the day comes when I am ever satisfied with myself as I dwell in this flesh, I pray God free me from it by death!

The wilderness experience is no more outdated than God's love. Gladys Aylward told of a story early in her ministry when she said, "We serve a God of common sense!" She later realized her error. God's sense is uncommon, because His wisdom is not a man's wisdom. When we try to make sense of God's wisdom without eyes of faith, we will stumble at His commands. We will justify and rationalize like a worm trying not to be hooked. We try dodge our purpose our calling because God should think like us! God hasn't changed. It is man who changes. We need to get back to the basics of knowing God, believing, and obeying Him. "By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went." (Heb. 11:8, KJV) Abraham had an earthly inheritance of vast riches in his homeland, but he forsook it in obedience to God to receive a heavenly inheritance of inestimable value.

I close with the word of Paul to the Corinthian church: "But this I say, brethren, that time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none; [30] and they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; [31] and they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away." (1 Cor. 7:29-31, KJV) Paul is not advocating a shirking of earthly duties, like providing for your family. But your family and your business are not your life: the business of a follower of Christ is to deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Jesus. Our lives pass away as a vapor. Let us use what time we have, whether we are in the wilderness or the city, whether in eating or fasting, with your family or alone, use all for the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)