15 August 2009

What really matters...

Today we met with my sister's father in law to discuss managing our house. We decided to rent it out before I leave for my Sept. 21 to Nov. 19 trip to Australia. Since my last day of work at the church is on Sept. 20th, I won't have a paycheck to cover the mortgage during my trip. I think it is wise to have the family settled in to reduce the stress of having such a move without me around. God has always provided for us, and now is no exception! My folks have graciously offered to let us stay in their home, another display of the gift of hospitality and generosity modeled by my parents. Both Laura and I have terrific parents and families who pitch in constantly to allow us to minister unto the LORD and have time together.

I've been working on cleaning up the garage: sanding adhesive off the floor, painting the walls, and throwing stuff away. As my baseball and soccer trophies went in the trash along with all the junk that accumulates that some day you might use (but haven't in 7 years!), I thought about the things that I have. The thing that Laura and I keep in mind: "Are we taking it to Australia?" If we're not taking it with us, we're either selling it, giving it away, or trashing it. Do you know how easy it is to throw or trash stuff that you can't take with you? How simple it is to accumulate things. Having stuff costs time. It takes time to go through it, organize it, decide what to do with it...I like having less stuff.

I believe God desires that we recognize that all we have is a gift from Him, and that we can't take our stuff with us into heaven. You will leave your career behind on earth, as well as your house, cars, hobbies, even your wife and kids. God and His Word are the only givens on earth and in heaven. We've heard it said, "You can't take it with you." I remember my fellow-laborer in Christ Paul Zastoupil say something to the effect of, "Life becomes so much more simple without things." Our houses are cluttered and we have so many things that fight for first place in our hearts. Our schedules are even more cluttered! Let's clear out the junk and put first things first. The trophies you used to cherish will lose their luster in the scope of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)