28 August 2009

Shepherd's Staff Details

Laura and I are very excited about our partnership with Shepherd's Staff. We are grateful and blessed to be affiliated with such a ministry for many reasons. For those who are interested, I'll do my best to explain the relationship that Shepherd's Staff will share with our family. Though we are being "sent out" by Calvary Chapel El Cajon, I will no longer be an employee of the church as I have for the last four years. I will be "employed" by Shepherd's Staff, though they will not pay me. People will choose to support our venture in faith, make tax-deductible donations on our behalf to Shepherd's Staff, and they will pass along the funds to us.

When I go to Brisbane, I will not be allowed to make any money in Australia. I will be traveling on a Tourist Visa, which enables me to stay for up to three months at a time. Funds that God provides through friends and family will be sent from Shepherd's Staff to us. In addition to financial accountability and oversight, Shepherd's Staff gives me W-2 status, supplies health care for our family at a reasonable cost, and provides a wealth of godly counsel through pastoral and support staff. We have been so blessed with Pat Kenney, the western regional Pastor. He visited with Laura and me in our home on Thursday and answered many questions we had.

One thing we will be discussing at the 6:30pm Friday meeting at Calvary Chapel El Cajon on September 4th is how people can be a part of our care team. It is amazing how God ordains the Body of Christ to work! People are not called to foreign fields alone, but God raises up people from the sending fellowship to assist with prayer support, communications, logistics, financial, moral and re-entry support. Kevin Akenson is the missions director at Calvary El Cajon, and we will work closely with him in placing people in positions to provide the support we need. Those on our care team won't simply be "helping out:" they will be joining in the work!

How awesome it is that God desires all His children to be involved in His business, whether on the home front or far from our shores. He has called and gifted us in many different ways that compliment each other. I was talking to Laura the other day and a wry smile crossed her face as I talked about a counseling appointment. She said, "You're not a counselor. You're a preacher!" It takes the pressure off of me to know that God has gifted me in areas and has gifted other people who are wonderful counselors. I've been called to give an answer for the hope that is in me, but I don't have lament the fact that I'm not a great counselor. I rejoice in the Helper, and that Jesus is that "Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6).

I thank God for each one of you, and thanks for caring enough to pray and support our family. We are excited about what God is doing and what He plans to do through this venture. "Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake" (Psalm 155:1, KJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)