22 August 2010

Access Untold

A discussion with a friend today reminded me of a truth in a way I've never before considered.  Recently having been married to an officer in the Navy, he showed me his identification which allows him access to military bases, medical care, the commissary, and other areas restricted to military personnel.  He told me about what it's like to drive through the gate with the decal of an officer on the windshield.  "The guards really snap to attention," he said.  I had seen this before when I golf with my father-in-law, who retired from naval service as a chief warrant officer.  Like my friend, I was afforded privileges and access because of my affiliation with a man who earned those benefits through years of service.  The treatment of the driver of my father-in-law's vehicle and my truck without a decal is very different!

As great as it is to receive benefits on earth due to birth or marital status, how much greater are the blessings we receive when we join with Christ in faith.  When we repent and trust in Jesus as Savior and LORD, we are given something far more valuable than a military identification card, a sticker on the windshield, a salute, respect, or access to a golf course:  we obtain a glorious entrance into eternal rest where we will rule and reign with Jesus Christ.  My granddad on my dad's side died several years ago and was laid to rest in the military cemetery in Pt. Loma.  A Pearl Harbor survivor and salty sailor to the end, the playing of taps was accompanied with a three volley salute over his casket.  It was a very moving, sober, and filled with respect.  Yet as honorable as the military treated my granddad in death, I assure you a far greater blessing is an eternity of life in God's presence!  The honor afforded my granddad is hardly worth mentioning over the glory he was ushered into by God's grace in the heavenlies.

It is good to consider who Jesus is and what He has granted us by His mercy, grace, love, and faithfulness.  How we can easily say, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."  What a wonder it is that we can be partakers of Christ's heavenly glory though we are undeserving of any favor or benefit.  While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.  Another beautiful aspect is we need not wait for heaven to enter into His holy presence, for He has granted the Holy Spirit to all who are born again through faith.  We have access into His throne room of grace and He intercedes on our behalf continually before the Father.  What a Savior!  What a KING!  Have you considered His goodness today?  Access to heaven and God!  What can compare with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)