12 August 2010

An Encouraging Word

Hardly a day passes when I am not directly asked about my plans to minister in Australia.  "So, what's going on with Australia?" or "Have you heard anything from Australia?" and my personal favorite:  "When are you leaving?"  If I had a dollar every time I was asked a question along these lines I would be a wealthy man, and if I earned a dollar for every time I thought about my friends in Australia or prayed about it, I would be richer still!

As I press on working with my hands to put money away to pay for moving and future living expenses, I see God's grace, love, and wisdom at work.  During my time as a mechanical insulator with Local 5, I have worked at three shops.  At every shop I had time to share my faith with many people.  I have maintained contact with people from all three.  Witnessing at random is great, but there is something special when you have earned the trust of other people so they will freely share their personal beliefs and solicit your own.  Everyone I work with know I am a pastor and they know I want to serve God in Australia.  But why Australia?  When I say that God has placed the people of that country on my heart and called me to go, I receive some strange looks.

I started thinking of all the profitable conversations I have had in the last 9 plus months since starting work at Farwest.  Seeds have been sown, and hearts have been engaged.  God will bring the increase, for His Word never returns void.  While my efforts have been largely on preparing to go away, God has been gracious to allow me to impact people here in the meantime - and be personally impacted by the relationships I have been able to make.  The need for Jesus is so great it boggles the mind.  It seems like I am learning more all the time about my own faults and how precious Jesus truly is to me.

I have not always held such a positive view concerning obstacles/opportunities.  Though I recognized God's hand at work, I had a tendency to focus on what I'll call "obstacles" rather than seeing those same things as "opportunities."  Is the hand of God shortened so He cannot save?  He helps us to redeem the time and work while it is day, for night is coming when no one can work.  The longing of my soul is that every place I go I would bring the fragrance of Christ that will linger on in saved souls long after I am living in Australia.  I want to say with Christ in John 9:5:  "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."  Only God could make the words we say affect the lives of others for eternity.  Every day is an opportunity to let our lights shine!  Whatever you do and wherever you are, do all for the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)