18 October 2010

Divine Acceptance

It's not often when an object lesson literally jumps into your lap.  While reading today Poncho, the Tooke's dog, did something he has never done before.  He came up very close to the chair I was sitting in, stared at me with his tail wagging, and suddenly jumped into my lap.  Before I could put what I was reading on the table beside me, he had settled down in a comfortable position.  Poncho is a medium-sized dog (poodle/cocker mix) that weighs around 50lbs, likely not the ideal size of a lap dog!  As I stroked his coat Ross remarked, "Now there's the ultimate in acceptance.  He's found a friend."  Poncho proved his acceptance of me by his actions.

As I sat with Poncho spread across me, there was a deep sense of pleasure in this display of confidence and trust.  Unfortunately today the word "pleasure" tends to have a sexual connotation, but this was nothing of the sort.  If Poncho suspected I would injure or hurt him he would refuse even to be touched by me, much less leap into my lap.  What had I done to deserve such favor over the last week?  Nothing unusual.  I had given him a few treats, opened a door for him when he wanted out or in, and scratched his belly.  Though it is likely he rested on me motivated by selfishness for attention, it made me happy he displayed such trust and desire.  It was no trouble for me to put down my papers and make him the object of attention and affection.

There was something sweet in the familiarity and closeness we shared for those moments.  After a while he moved on and I continued to read, thinking about this lesson.  If I can take pleasure in a dog seeking attention, does not God take greater pleasure when His creation seeks after Him?  Do our actions confirm that we have accepted Christ as LORD, Savior, and Friend?  Am I willing, with humility as Poncho, to approach God and climb into His lap?  Won't it give God great pleasure to know that with all the toys, diversions, and cares I might have, I will lay them all aside to spend quiet time with Him alone?  I am not Poncho's owner but God is my Owner, having bought me with a price:  the blood of Jesus.  He deserves such time with me but will not legally require me to spend a set amount of time with Him.  He could put me on a leash, threaten me with violence, and heave me onto His lap - but that would not be according to God's character.  He has freely given me His love, and desires I would freely love Him back.

Remember the longing in the words of Jesus?  He says in Matthew 23:37:  "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!  God has all the comfort to give, but we so often are unwilling to receive.  Jesus offered love, acceptance, forgiveness, and salvation, and men instead plotted to kill Him!  There is little in a human relationship that compares with the closeness of a hen to her chicks.  She has the capability to cover them all, warms them with her body, and protects them from harm.  Each chick nestled beneath has all of her.  We hold our babies, but a hen covers them.  What a picture of closeness Christ desires to share with us if we are willing!

What a blessing that God rejoices in companionship with us!  We climb up in His lap with our dirty old selves, complete with wet muddy paws, bad breath, drool, rancid gas, and stickers all through our coat because of where we've been.  But God delights in us even though there is nothing we can do to earn his divine acceptance.  Psalm 147:11 says, "The LORD takes pleasure in those who fear Him, In those who hope in His mercy."  Instead of taking this grace for granted, may we avail ourselves of it by offering ourselves a living sacrifice unto God.  When we trust God, we have no fear of abuse by Him.  He delights in our advances and will never turn us away because we are not worthy.  We are not worthy anyway!  Yet when we admit our unworthiness and seek Him with desire He is pleased.  God will make us the attention of His affection and acceptance if we allow Him.  Have you climbed up in the LORD's lap today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)