01 October 2010

The Next Step

God is faithful to not only establish His word, but also confirms it along the way.  This epic walk of faith in Christ forces us to focus on Him alone, not being distracted by all the unknown.  When this vision to serve Christ in Australia began in 2005, I did not know how, when, or where it would happen.  I only knew God had called us and He would make it happen in His time.  This last week has been a great blessing to me and Laura as we see God doing things behind the scenes and fulfilling His purposes in us right now.

A week ago today, I resigned from my job in construction.  I wanted to have at least a week or two to prepare and spend time with family before I head off to Sydney for two months.  My first inclination was to purchase a departing ticket between October 4th-6th (Mon.-Wed.).  But I simply did not feel led to buy a ticket.  The prices were fluctuating greatly and I didn't feel certain it was the right time.  Early this week Laura received an invitation to attend the Calvary Chapel Pastor's Wives Retreat in Murrieta.  Guess what the dates were?  October 4th-6th!  I encouraged Laura to go to the retreat, and I chose to put off my departure for another week.  This would enable her to be edified, strengthened, and enjoy good fellowship while I could take care of the kid's school carpool and flag-football practice.

On Tuesday I received a call on my cell from Mark, senior pastor at Calvary Chapel Alpine.  He was looking for someone to cover the two Sunday AM services at the fellowship.  I had intended to call him to inform him of my soon return to Sydney and that I had accepted the lead pastor role there.  Because I had stopped work I have been able to pray, study, and prepare for the delivery of those sermons and am excited about what God is showing me.  Instead of me asking someone for an opportunity to speak, God saw fit to direct someone to call me and offer that opportunity.  Whether we are on the mountain top, passing through the valley of the shadow of death, or seemingly wandering in the wilderness, God chooses not only to prepare us but actually use us to bring Him glory.  The man who follows Jesus need not wander, because He's leading us every step of the way.  The world laughs and mocks:  "Look at that guy spinning his wheels!  He doesn't even know where he's going or what he's doing!"  It is true!  But all I need to know is God.  And when I remain close to Him and yielded to His promptings I'm where I'm supposed to be.

These two circumstances (and there have been many more like them along the way!) were unforeseen to me, but God naturally brought them along anyway.  He has so many opportunities for us if we will just remain in His will.  I'm no master of this, but I want to grow in this area.  Sometimes we can be so anxious to "do something" or be so focused on our personal role that we forget to look to Jesus.  As Christ walked this earth He was never in a hurry, never spoke out of turn, was always in the right place at the right time, and ALWAYS did His heavenly Father's will.  It is wonderful and freeing to understand I don't have to know everything for God to have His way.  As long as we walk in obedience to God, He will be faithful to show us the next step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)