12 November 2010

What's up? A quick look...

Last night I went with John and Tina Graves to the house of Paul and Christina for a Thanksgiving meal and celebration.  2010 will mark the second time in five years the I will spend the American holiday of Thanksgiving outside of the U.S.  It was fun to watch a downloaded football game ("gridiron" in AUS) and sit around the table with friends new and old.  No one cooks a Thanksgiving meal like my dad or grandpa, but it was delicious just the same.

No matter where I am or what I eat, I can give thanks to the same God.  Celebrating a holiday is so different from house to house, especially from country to country!  The more and more I experience in Australia, the more I am struck by differences.  When I woke up this morning, I did the washing (laundry) and hung it outside to dry.  I vacuumed the pool, read my Bible, played with the dog, and tried to figure out why my computer keeps crashing when I watch streaming video.  Just the daily morning routine on a Saturday!

I'm growing a mustache with Ian (worship and youth leader from church) in honor of Movember, an Australian fundraiser to bring awareness and supply money for men's health, specifically prostate cancer and depression.  Abel cracked me up on Skype when he said, "So instead of Thanksgiving you have Movember all month?"  One of the catchphrases is "Grow a mo, help save a bro."  How mustache can be shortened to "mo" I'll never understand.  Some people say it is rhyming slang, but it doesn't rhyme at all!  But they do both start with an "m!"  It's probably better than saying, "Grow a stache, give some cash..."

Tomorrow I hope to shoot some clips of people at church to make a video to show at church back in the States to introduce them personally to their Aussie brothers and sisters in Christ at Calvary Chapel Sydney.  We put in an application to rent a house in a suburb near the church and we're praying that God would open that door.  Our household goods are due to arrive on December 16th, and the house will be available on December 17th so that would be perfect.  It seems like an ideal setup, and may God's will be done!  We're still waiting on our FBI background checks and need to schedule physicals for the visa completion.

After preaching at CC Sydney Sunday morning, on Tuesday God willing I will lead a Bible study at a local home fellowship.  I'm still thinking and praying about what the text from scripture will be.  On Friday, Ian, Paul, and myself are scheduled to fly to Perth and drive five hours to Calvary Chapel Albany to attend the Word Conference.  It should be an awesome time to hear gifted speakers, meet up with Christians from all over Australia, and enjoy worship and fellowship.  God willing the travel will be smooth and seamless.

The longer I travel this path of faith in Christ, the more I realize I am a pathetic man who needs His strength.  There are continual temptations to cease setting my mind on things above, and set it on things of this earth.  I read a passage from A Minister's Obstacles by Turnbull that gave me encouragement.  "...They never made Bunyan a doctor of divinity nor anything else of that honorable sort.  But three degrees had already been granted to him that neither Cambridge nor Oxford could either give or withhold: 'to wit, union with Christ; the anointing of the Spirit, and much experience of temptation" (pg. 73-74).  God has seen fit to give me the first two degrees by his grace, and I am determined to obtain the third by his grace as well.  God help me!

Praise the LORD that He is unchangeable and not limited by location or time restraints!  I am experiencing grueling separation from my wife and kids, but when I look to the LORD I find in Him all I need.  It is not easy but no trial was ever intended to be!  It is through separation that our priorities are re-focused, and our weaknesses and false supports are revealed by God to us.  The house we desire to rent is on "Supply Court" which was another reminder of God's promise to me and all believers in Philippians 4:19: "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."  What more shall I say?  If Christ is for me, who can be against me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)