03 October 2011

What Distinguishes You?

Every person on earth has been created by God to be unique.  Twins may have the same genetic code, but their personalities can be worlds apart.  It is the soul of man which distinguishes him from all other living things.  God has breathed into each human being a living soul.

Though human beings have the same basic anatomy, we can be easily distinguished by appearance.  Silver hair is said to give a "distinguished" look.  Some people wear fine clothes which distinguish through elegance.  Being an American living in Australia, my accent is easily distinguished as foreign.  When I met with people on the west coast of Australia who had not yet spoken to me (aside from email), one of the first things said to me in conversation was, "Huh!  Another Yank!"  I had been distinguished as not Australian, and automatically grouped in with this man's perception of what an American is.  From the sound of it, it was a negative impression.  Thanks be to God, for He had prepared me years before for such a response.

When I was in third grade, I smashed my front teeth against the sidewalk while riding my skateboard on my knees.  My folks took me to the dentist and my teeth were adorned with temporary caps.  It was intended to be a temporary fix until permanent veneers could be made.  For whatever reason, I never made it back to the dentist for that procedure.  It was not until I attended university that the were caps replaced.  But for many years I wore those temporary caps which were composed of a porous material and turned rather yellow.  In high school it seemed only a matter of time before someone would ask, "Don't you brush your teeth?  Why are your teeth yellow?"  I was never self-conscious about my teeth.  I laughed and smiled just the same.  But my teeth were a distinguishing feature that seemed to be quite the conversation starter.  I don't think anyone wants to be distinguished by their bad teeth!

Yesterday I spent some time thinking about Jesus and what distinguished Him from other men.  We do not read that Jesus was a towering specimen of a man, that He had a beautiful voice, nor was He remarkably handsome.  He appeared ordinary in every sense.  Jesus was not deathly somber or giddy with happiness.  He was not quick to cry or wore an unshakably stoic countenance.  What distinguished Christ from other men?

The fact Jesus was born of a virgin distinguishes Him from all other men (Matt. 1:20).  Only Adam and Eve were made without the use of both man and woman - Adam made from the dust of the ground, and Eve made from a rib from Adam's side.  Another distinguishing characteristic people discovered early in His life was the wisdom and knowledge of Jesus (Luke 2:46-47).  Even as a pre-teen Jesus asked questions and gave answers to masters of the law which made all marvel.  When Jesus was baptized and transfigured (Luke 3:22, 9:35), the voice of God the Father spoke from heaven saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.  Hear Him!"  Such a ringing endorsement from the heavens certainly distinguishes Christ from other men!  Another distinguishing mark upon the life of Christ is His love.  He loves all people, and it was the love of Christ which compelled Him to embrace the cross.  Romans 5:8 reads, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

If Jesus had remained dead, He would have been like all other men before Him.  But He is distinguished even in death, for after three days Jesus rose from the dead as the Conqueror of Death!  He was seen by over 500 people in His glorified bodily form before He ascended to heaven in the sight of many.  1 Corinthians 15:20-21 states, "But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead."  Of all the distinguishing characteristics of Christ, this may be the most unconventional and unexpected of them all - though Jesus actually predicted it over and over again:  "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."  John 2:22 confirms the account:  "Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said."

Every person alive has the choice of what will distinguish them from others.  The important thing is not "what" distinguishes a person, but "Who" distinguishes you!  The term "Christian" was once used to distinguish people who actually acted like Jesus Christ.  Unfortunately much of the weight and power of the term has dissipated over the years.  We can be such poor ambassadors for Christ that only a fool would want to "have what we have."  In this we do our Saviour a grave disservice.  I say it is time for Christians to be distinguished from the world by the love, power, forgiveness, wisdom, generosity, and sacrifice revealed in the person of Jesus Christ.  May it be Christ Himself who distinguishes Christians from all others for the glory of God.

It doesn't matter if you have yellow teeth, a wild shock of hair, or employ your own tailor:  let Jesus and His love, grace, and forgiveness be what distinguishes you.  May you experience the life Paul describes in Galatians 2:20:  "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)